1993 TX5 Ghia - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2005, 03:24   #1 (permalink)

confused 1993 TX5 Ghia

Hello All,

I am not sure if anyone can help me and this is a fairly long complex problem but...

About 12 months ago my ROOM fuse blew, when I tried to replace it it blew before I got the fuse seated. When it goes I lose the obvious things associated with this fuse (Door and interior lights, Bell that lets you know door is open/keys in/lights left on, Light on dash that indicates open door stays on permanently), however my radio also stops working although it has its own fuse and the clock goes which is supposed to be on the radio fuse. Now comes the strange bits, sometimes I can replace the fuse and it will work for up to a month or so, other times it blows before I can seat it. Also after months with NO FUSE AT ALL not even a blown one in the room spot the clock begins to fade in and the door indication on the dash starts to fade off, however (and this takes the cake) if you open a door when the car is turned on whilst this is occuring the clock goes and the indicator light returns to full strength immediately, *shrug* f*cked if I know whats going on. Other things to note are the following:
*I tried disconnecting the interior light (light on roof) for a few months but the fuse still goes.
*I tried disconnecting the power for the power aerial (I no longer have power aerial and though the wires may not be correctly terminated or my be touching the chassis), fuse still blows.
*I tried disconnecting the radio as I thought since it was supposed to have it's own fuse maybe it was the problem, fuse still blows.
*Just today I tried taking out the fuse for radio (ROOM fuse currently working for however short time it decides it likes me), when radio fuse is removed radio stops and clock goes, but as stated same thing happens when ROOM fuse blows (if anyone can explain why they get bonus points).
Ok so I think that covers it, I can't afford an auto elec and may be able to fix it myself with wiring diagrams (or at least try) so if anyone has a possible solution, wiring diagrams, etc PLEASE help me. ANy more info you might need email me for it.

Thanks,

Carley
TX5Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2005, 02:26   #2 (permalink)
Seriously Disturbed

Re: 1993 TX5 Ghia

Coming from a non-autoelec, and only drawing this conclusion off past experience. Seems like a wire is shorting out, must be grounding somewhere.

Have you removed any panels/bumpers recently? or modified the body/interior at all? if so, it may be possible you have snagged a wire, or group of wires, and it is grounding on the body, hence the fuse blowing. As for it not blowing sometimes, for a period of time, it may be presumed that this wire that is/was snagged, has lost some of its insulation and bare wire is shorting on something. but only sometimes, depending on its position.

well thats my 2 cents, short of seeing an autoelec, id check whatever has been tampered with and check for damaged wires

Dave
Old 08-18-2005, 04:21   #3 (permalink)
old B - new B

as the disturbed dave was saying , it sounds like a wire is shorting out at random.

just an idea but have you by any chance fitted gauges to the RHS windscreen pillar as is the trend now.
if so then that would be the first place to look because the wirs for the interior light run up that pillar behind the trim.
might have been pinched or have a screw through it.

good luck
( normal ) dave
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:56   #4 (permalink)
Seriously Disturbed

OMG!! there are normal Dave's out there??? *shock horror*
Old 08-24-2005, 06:32   #5 (permalink)
old B - new B

well i pretend to be anyway.
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU