250 2V - Electronic distributor? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2002, 13:11   #1 (permalink)

Question 250 2V - Electronic distributor?

Hi,

I have a pre crossflow 250 motor with the 2V head. It's a great motor, but I want to upgrade to an electronic dizzy.

Can a newer model distributor, like a bosch unit from an XD> 4.1 be installed with out much trouble?

If not, what dizzy should I get?

Cheers,
Mike Jones
mjones@au.ibm.com
xl250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2002, 15:26   #2 (permalink)

Technically the 4.1 xflow dizzy should do the trick. However, I'm not sure if there are any modifications needed to be done to your electronics system?

I know with the 4.1's, you have to be very careful in removing the dizzy units. Apparently, they are prone to breaking as you remove them? I only heard about it, I dunno if that's true or not.

http://www.hoon.tk
Ford XE Green n Gold 4.1L IL6 Nitrous Assisted. Best time to date: 14.338 @ 98MPH
Mazda 626 Faded Blue 2L IL4 NA Diesel!
Hoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 15:35   #3 (permalink)

Hi

I had fitted an aftermarket optical electronic ignition system to the dizzy on my XC 4.1 six when I first bought it in 1978 and it still fires first time without any problems. I don't know if you can still get these systems, but if you can they work really great. All you need to do is replace the points and condenser with the optical sensor and install the electronics to the firewall.

Good luck
falcongli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 17:40   #4 (permalink)

Get a pertronix unit, they are very good and reasonably priced. They install entirely inside the original distributor.

Good luck
Tris
xafalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 21:02   #5 (permalink)

xafalcon: where can u buy pertronix in Australia? Not finding a supplier for them. www.pertronix.com was great for info, but no help for purchasing one in Syndey.

I have called around...

Rare Spares - Crane conversion is $320 which is way excessive for my needs.

Repco - said " huh?"

Supercheap auto - said " huh? whats a points distributor"

Fairford Spares at Padstow - said to use a xd/xe distributor and you have to cut/file the long legs off it and they wanted $55 for a complete unit...

I have a set of 11mm Eagle leads on my current distributor and don't want to change them as they are pretty new. (got them cheap from a mate of a mate). I will take 1 lead with me when i go to Fairford spares to see if it fits the newer cap, but if it doesn't:

What other halleffects kits are out there? Will bosch make one for my dizzy? Where do I buy them?

Cheers folks and thanks for all the help!

Mike Jones
mjones@au.ibm.com

1994 EF Fairmont Ghia
1963 XL Falcon Deluxe
1986 ZL Fairlane
xl250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 01:26   #6 (permalink)

try ebay.com the US site, not the aussie one. I bought a ford V8 one there about 3 weeks ago. The guy also had a six cylinder ford one, both were new in the box. Cost me US$42 including shipping. Our local speed shops also stock them, but for about NZ$250 (about a year ago).

Good luck
Tris
xafalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 01:41   #7 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Yes the XD/XE electronic dizzy will fit ,I have a 221 that just recently I've put an elec dizzy from an XE on all I had to do is grind away some off the base plate so you can lock the dizzy down If you try to fit the dizzy first you will see what I mean and be able to work out how much needs to come off but it's only alloy and very easy to grind down on a grinding wheel the only other thing you need is the coil to match but no more changing points,runs smoother starts much better too.I too am just about to put a 2V head on the motor that I recently bought.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 02:26   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Carefull which on you get.The latter models "don't" have an oil pump drive on the bottom but will fit..I know of one perfect engine that became very rattly in the bottom end after fitting one..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 04:49   #9 (permalink)
Early Ford Member

The lower shaft (the one with the camshaft driven gear on it) has a thinner bearing diameter in the block than the points distributor. If you go with this route you will need to have the lower shaft from a points distributor "fitted" to the elecronic XD/XE dizzy. Otherwise the lower shaft will vibrate in the engine block and eventually snap the oil pump drive shaft.
XT500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 18:40   #10 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Try locating a Duraspark II distributor, and use an MSD 6AL box to fire the system with. I dont know if that particular dizzy was a US only one, or if some of the F-series trucks that came over here with the 300 cu.in six had the DS2 dizzy in it. The US integral manifold sixes came with that dizzy post '78.

There might be one or two for sale on the fordsix.com forums, if you feel lucky..
discokin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU