96 xh longreach ignition problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2004, 19:13   #1 (permalink)

96 xh longreach ignition problems

just wondering if anyone can help me, my ute has problem starting, engine winds over but wont fire. it does this then days later i try it again and it goes.. Any Advice???
charles96xhute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2004, 03:22   #2 (permalink)
EMW ??? Whats missing ?

Re: 96 xh longreach ignition problems

it will be either coil or the dissy... take a pik, or it could be the realy...

(check to see if spark is the cause has it got spark when it wont fire it may be a fuel prob, is it on gas ???)
3.7 lsd
AU bottem end
ELXR6 ported Head
PH4480 Pacemakers
INJECTED250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 16:16   #3 (permalink)
Chasing down oil leaks...

i had a similar problem with my EA. it would crank but not fire, and sometimes when driving along it would stall.

i had the distributor/TFI module replaced which appeared to fix the problem initially. Anyway turned out to do the same thing again. Replaced one of the fusible links near the battery and haven't had a problem since.

So I am inclined to think the problem was the fusible link. In my case anyway. Hope that helps a little.

Definately check for spark first though before you start replacing things.

Dan.

Axeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 17:38   #4 (permalink)

Could also be fuel related. Check spark first. If spark is ok during cranking, make sure you are getting fuel. If you suspect a fuel problem, get someone to listen for the fuel pump running when you turn the key to the running position. It should run for about 5 seconds to pressurise the lines, then turn off until the engine is cranking. I'm pretty sure the XH ute fuel pump is in the tank which is located behind the passenger seat under the cargo area.
Softride Powerwing
roofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 18:16   #5 (permalink)

cheers, we have replaced the dizzy and fusible link behind the battery, and fuel pump is working properly. on the occasion it starts it runs fine, then when attempt to restart it will crank but not fire. no spark getting to plugs..
charles96xhute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 07:17   #6 (permalink)

I see that this problem you had was quite some time ago. I assume you've found the problem by now. My 94 F250 is doing the same thing as you described - no spark. Can you tell me what the problem was on your vehicle. Thanks
Jim schallj56@cs.com
lucasred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 16:58   #7 (permalink)

In my case the car would crank but no spark. The first time this occured both the distributor and the coil had died. The next two times the coil had failed. Three coils in about 2.5 years, needless to say, I dont use Bosch anymore.
nassi
nassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 22:19   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasred
I see that this problem you had was quite some time ago. I assume you've found the problem by now. My 94 F250 is doing the same thing as you described - no spark. Can you tell me what the problem was on your vehicle. Thanks
Jim schallj56@cs.com

I've found that I only have 1 volt coming into pin 4 of ICM during cranking. Manual calls for 90% of battery voltage during cranking. I followed this wire to PCM at pin 4 there also. checked voltage coming directly from PCM computer and still only 1volt during cranking. Does anyone know the fuction of pin 4 at ICM or pin 4 at PCM? Thanks
Jim
lucasred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU