Accessing The engine computer - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2002, 04:07   #1 (permalink)

Question Accessing The engine computer

Hey i was wondering what type of programs would i need to put on a laptop to be able to stuff round with the computer settings on an EL if thats possible. Im not looking at a motec just something that wont cost a heap

Would i need a special card to interphase with the computer and if so where can i get one and where can i get a cable that would plug into the laptop and engine management system or would i have to get the plugs and put em into a cable myself?
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2002, 12:26   #2 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

you can access the computer from a engineering port on the bottom of the ECU. TWeecer.com have a device to do this and it is sold here but it's around $700 - $1500
Old 12-05-2002, 17:29   #3 (permalink)
FORD its a way of Life

HI I have an 88 EA MPFI and would like to play with the computer settings, but the only laptop I hav access to is a MAC so dose n e 1 know if what software I can use and what cable I will need to plung it in???
Old 12-05-2002, 21:22   #4 (permalink)

Just a note... You have to know exactly what you guys are doing when tweecing, as there can be absurd results.
Old 02-05-2003, 19:15   #5 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

Yeah thats correct but the best thing about the tweecer is that it leaves the default setting alone and let you play with up to 5 other settings so if you stuff it up you can just change back to default
Old 02-05-2003, 19:22   #6 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

while we're on the topic of ECU's ( sorry for hijacking the thread ) how much would it cost to remap and ea-eb ecu to EBxr6 specs, can it be done and would it be cheaper then buying an EBXR6 ecu?

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 23:32   #7 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Remember after market ecu start at around $900.00 up.With a programable handpiece to play with.. As in ems stinger..etc..BUT after market won't make much difference if your engine is std..Won't work on auto's either..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 01:46   #8 (permalink)
methanol injected clevo

From what i am aware tweecer is not yet available for EEC-IV (as found in ELs).

I would go out and say it would be alot cheaper to find a XR6 computer rather than paying for a chip and then to have it tuned if it is possible.

the tweecer software does not run on a macintosh as far as i am aware...

1981 XD Ex-Interceptor - 393C, AFD 4Vs, Methanol Injection, Powerglide

1994 ED XR8 Sprint - 347W, 5-speed, 3.9s

http://hi-performance.net
xr8_sprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 03:14   #9 (permalink)
XR9UTE

Guy's,

The Tweecer is useable on all EECIV & V but there is currently limited support for aussie EEC's. The EEC-Tuner also has similar limited support.
The most support currently is for EB-ED V8.
I have some support for EB-ED 4.0(using the EEC-Tuner) and I am working on getting full support soon(including trans control) with the Tweecer.
I am also working on EF-L V8 and EF(DIS) 4.0 and have some stuff roughed out. I have someone else working on AU EECV too.
BA (PTEC) is being looked at also....of course the EEC-Tuner or Tweecer will not work as these ECU's have no J3 port at all.

It would be cheaper(most likely) to buy an XR6 EEC from the wreckers but it might be difficult to actually find one. Of course it would only be of benefit if you had exactly the same spec engine as an XR6...Most of you likely want better performance than that? So a Tweecer(when support is available) would allow you to recalibrate to suit your particlular engine. I have a bin. dump from an ED XR6 and there are only slight map differences between it and the std. 4.0. Of course it is used in conjunction with higher fuel pressure on the XR6.

You could go aftermarket but you'll have to spend more than $3500 to get close to the control of the factory EEC and you auto guys still won't have trans control for that money. Remember setting up from scratch costs a lot of time $$$$ and if you can't at least up your line pressure the auto will fry itself quickly.

So if you want to do some basic mods to your six that won't get you into trouble with the stock SD(speed density) setup keep your camshaft lobe centres wide(close to stock) and do things that improve outright flow; exhaust,headers,ported head, unrestrict the inlet etc. Then get an adjustable fuel regulator, spin it up on the dyno and if required up your fuel pressure a tad to get the Air/fuel ratio correct.
Hopefully I can get some more six cylinder support happening in the meantime.

BTW I have found the smartlock enable/disable bit in EB-ED V8 EEC's which will help those that want to use a Smartlock EEC in a car not so equipped(or vice-versa).

Cheers,
Pete.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:35   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
From what i am aware tweecer is not yet available for EEC-IV (as found in ELs).
I thought EF/EL were EEC-V. Anybody confirm?

To confuse matters further, the workshop manual wiring diagrams for EF shows earth points as connecting to an "EEC-IV" module, while the EL diagrams, show same earth connections to an "EEC-V" module. WTF??
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU