adding additional lights - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2004, 15:08   #1 (permalink)

adding additional lights

ok heres the deal... i have a 99 mustang GT and want to add 2 little neon light things to my trunk. so, thinking i was pretty clever i tried to splice the lights into the trunk light circuit and ended up blowing the entire accessory light fuse (no interior cabin lights, no vanity mirror lights, etc.).... anyways, this might have been because i tried to do this connection w/o the fuse provided w/ the neon. (it came w/ a cigarette adapter w/ a fuse in it but i was too stupid to wire the fuse up when i tried the light)

anyways, now that i've recovered from that, what is the best way to hardwire 2 neon lights each w/ a 1A fuse into my trunk?

if i can do it off the trunk light circuit so the light turns on and off when i close the trunk thatd be sweet, even if i lose the trunk light.

so..... any ideas?
stangman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2004, 17:36   #2 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

Re: adding additional lights

Use the trunk light switch to trigger a relay that controls the neons. The power for the neons will need to be fused.

This will take some load from the cars circuit.
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 06:23   #3 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

The cigerette adapter may have had an inverter in it.
You may have to try to hook it up with the inverter or put a cigerette lighter socket in the Trunk/boot.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 20:20   #4 (permalink)

ok so if im going to use the relay can someone double check this arrangement for me?

i dont know the exact location of the trunk light switch, but i have the wires cut right at where they terminated into the old trunk light bulb housing, so i figure i must be past the switch.

85 = +12VDC from wire that previously went to trunk light
86 = ground wire from previous trunk light
87 = new fused circuit drawn from fuse panel (with a fuse tap or something similar)
30 = to new light(s)

so with this, the relay would function whenever the previous trunk light would have turned on.... (ie when the trunk is opened)... correct?

and also about this possiblity of an inverter... what would i be looking for inside the adapter plug? seems to just be a spring-loaded fuse straight to the wire....
stangman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU