Air con Trouble - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2004, 22:47   #1 (permalink)

Air con Trouble

Well I bought an El falcon, a few months ago and i've ironed out all the faults except this air con trouble.

Well it's actually two problems and i don't know if they are related. Firstly the aircon/fan refuses to work on the 3rd speed setting, it works for a few seconds then dies and then it surges again after 15 seconds or so. It works fine on all other speed settings (ie. 0,1,2,4), so my thinking is that it is a loose wire?

Secondally the aircon has an very odd problem in which it switches to the front demister vents, whenever travelling up a steep hill, with a fair bit of throttle. This happens despite the aircon being set on other vents. It returns to normal however when normal load resumes. The air con also switches to demister whenever the motor is switched off and the fan is left on. I thinking that their is maybe something wrong with the vaccum line?

Finally is the aircon fan supposed to operate when the key is in the accessory position?

I really need this fixed, as I live in QLD and summers is on it's way, I hope someone can help

Cheers
132 K

Ford I6 Grunt

Car to be Ghia-a-tised tm
Red_Spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2004, 03:50   #2 (permalink)
1990 S pac

Re: Air con Trouble

I dont know about the first part of your problem, but the second part sounds like a leak in the vacuum sytem fot the heater controls. There is a vac tank under the wing I think which keeps a reserve of vac for just your situation going up hills etc. The more throttle you have the less vac and the controls go back to the engine off (no Vac) situation, when you let the throttle off a bit vac comes up and the controls go back to where you have them set. check all vac lines and the tank for leaks. I hope this fixes part of your prob.
Just had a look at the circuit for the fan switch, it may be a broken resistor which is intermittant causing fan pos 3 to give trouble.

Cheers
clive45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 15:00   #3 (permalink)
Mad Redhead

Hi Red Spectre,

The same weird problem started in my EA at around Xmas last year, with the fan set at 3 it seems to just die then come back on... haven't worked out what it is YET, but I shall. All the other settings are fine (0, 1, 2, 4) - it's soooooo odd!

The air going to demister when climbing a hill used to happen with my XF, I thought they would've ironed it out by the EL! lol I never figured that one out either other than thoughts on vacuums.

I suppose the purpose of this email is to commiserate and let you know you are not alone, or imagining things... until I work out what that fan 3 setting is and why it is happening, I can't help you. I am planning to look at it next week when work calms down a little. If you work it out before that, let me know!

EA 88
Corolla 88

The story of my life...
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 00:38   #4 (permalink)

Well when I get a spare chance i'll have a bit of a read up in the workshop manual and have a decent look at fixing it. At least i'm not alone with the problem.

If I fix it i'll let you know.

Cheers
132 K

Ford I6 Grunt

Car to be Ghia-a-tised tm
Red_Spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 01:33   #5 (permalink)
White Lightning

yeh the air ONLY goes through windscreen demister on my ed no matter where its set. but i have a green tube just hanging loose which i know is part of my ac setup but i dunno where to plumb it to. have a look at the thin tubes coming out from under the washer bottle and see if they are all tight and correct.
Lukey Extractors, Mandrel Bent 2.5" Exhaust w/ High Flow Cat & 2 Hotdogs, Kings Springs Super Lows, KYB Short Throw Shocks, DBA Slotted Rotors [F], RDA Standard Rotors [R], Bendix Advance Pads, K&N Panel Filter
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 02:25   #6 (permalink)
EB wagon

I agree. The vent problem is vacuum related. There is a leak in one of yer hoses which is making your round vacuum chamber thing pretty much useless coz it cant hold any vacuum. The speed control could be resistor related, tho i would have thought it would not work on 4th speed if that were the case. Maybe yer switch?

Cheers

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU