Alternator problems on XF - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2005, 16:59   #1 (permalink)
Purveyor of filth

Question Alternator problems on XF

I've got another problem with the alternator on the old girl. During a cold morning (like the ones we've had in Melbourne these past few days), it'll start up fine, fast idle for a bit and then drop to normal idle. I press on the brake pedal to disengage the handbrake and the voltage gauge drops to halfway between middle and bottom red zone (Ghia digital cluster). I let go of the pedal and it still stays at that level. I pump the pedal a few times and it goes back up again to one bar above middle, where it normally is. It stays like that for the rest of my trip.

As I see it, a voltage drop like that could only mean the alternator isn't working right (busted regulator, bushes) but pumping the brake pedal could indicate a short somewhere. Any ideas?
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2005, 15:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: Alternator problems on XF

confirm it with a multimeter
oze50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 17:42   #3 (permalink)

Once you press the brake pedal the first time and the voltage drops, will it come back up by slightly reving the motor?

If this is the case then that is normal as those alternators have an “exciter” in them and won’t produce any current below approx 1000 rpm.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:58   #4 (permalink)
Purveyor of filth

Problem seems to have gone away, but multimeter revealed 12.5V at idle for a bit then went up to 13.9V. I'll just get a friend on mine to reco the alternator and rewind it to crank out 120A (he's done it before). Just a matter of getting it around to him.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU