AU2 Mobile phone holder - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2004, 23:49   #1 (permalink)
.au member

AU2 Mobile phone holder

Heya,

im in the process of putting in a handsfree kit into my dad's AU2 Fairmont. Ive used the supplied cable to connect to the headunit to allow it to mute for incoming calls, but the trouble is that now i am left with a connector and there's no way a normal cradle etc etc will connect to it.

attached is a pic of the connector, can someone please give me an idea of what parts i need next and how to set it all up?

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2004, 05:32   #2 (permalink)
AU3 Falcon XR8 Ute (auto)

Re: AU2 Mobile phone holder

G'day mate,

I'm not sure of a few things - the connector in the photo - I take it thats the other end of the cable which connects to the head unit, and that the pic you've attached is the inside of the centre console storage compartment (ie. CD holder). If this is that cable (therefore all three wires are going to the headunit) then one wire is the mute signal for the headunit and the other two are the pos. and neg. audio wires (which allow the audio from the phone to come through the car's audio system speakers instead of having to install a phone-speaker. I'm afraid I don't know which one is which though so you'll just have to test that.

Are you trying to install an after-market handsfree kit (eg. a Nokia or Ericsson one etc.) or are you installing the genuine Ford kit? I'll assume the former, in which case you'll mostly have to follow the instructions with the kit, just using the three wires you have there as appropriate (connected with some adaptor cable(s) you'll probably have to make up). If it's the genuine Ford kit, then this plug should connect straight up, but I dunno much about the kit so I'm not sure how you adapt it to suit your individual phone etc.

Steve.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 05:46   #3 (permalink)
.au member

Steve,

thanks for your reply. You are correct, that is the end of the cable that came when we bought the car, the other end is connected into the back of the headunit.
And I think youve just given me the answer I need. I didnt know if there as a genuine Ford kit, but if there is, that's what I'm after. Do you know what comes with it?
Old 05-15-2004, 05:58   #4 (permalink)
AU3 Falcon XR8 Ute (auto)

I don't know much about the genuine kit I'm afraid. Here's what I do know (but don't assume it to be entirely accurate):

-It's called a mobile phone presenter
-It's a cradle which holds your phone (obviously) and basically it sticks up from the front left corner of the centre console storage box, which you can fold it down into when it's not in use (keeps it neat as long as you don't have a bunch of CD's in there of course).
-Using the cable you already have, it provides mute and audio output through the stereo system.
-I assume it comes with a mic to install in your car.
-I believe it comes with a glass-mount antenna.
-I assume it powers your phone as well and I believe your car already has wiring in place which the kit connects to for power.

One thing I don't know is how it works with different phones and/or what phones it is compatible with. I would assume that it uses an adaptor plug in the base of the cradle to suit whatever type of phone and that you need to specify this when you order it, but I may have the wrong idea about this too - best to check with a Ford dealer probably.

Steve.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 22:11   #5 (permalink)
.au member

cheers steve, that was the info i needed, and russ has helped me out with some part numbers, so i should be set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU