AUII/III Centre Dash Pod - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2002, 20:47   #1 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

AUII/III Centre Dash Pod

Ok, i'm just wondering how do you take off the centre dash pod on the AUII's (The water melon bit) is there any hidden screws etc, or does it simply snap off. Don't want to experiment as i might end up breaking something as i've done in the past.

Cheers.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2002, 22:44   #2 (permalink)
plarsson

Having done this myself, there are a couple of thing you will need.
A normal phillips head screwdriver, a short stumpy philips head screwdriver, pair of Radio extraction tools. double jointed wrists, Xray eyes, very nimble fingers.

1/ acquire the correct tool for removing the broadcast radio/stereo from the dash. They are a pair of " U " shaped wires where the ends have been machined to a knob. These fit into the 4 holes in the face of the radio. once the knobs have engaged the locking mechanism ( carefull dont force anything ) push them away from each other gently. Now the radio should slide out. Its tricky but patience is a virtue.

2/ Disconnect the wires from the back of the radio.

3/Remove the ashtray.

4/ There is one screw at the back of the ashtray aperature, and four screws, 2 at the bottom, 2 at the top of the Radio aperature.

5/ the top of the escution panel is retained by spring clips. Gently prise the escution panel from the bottom away from the dash. There is not a lot of freedom once the panel is away from the dash as it will be secured by the HVAC cables and hoses. As well as the cigarette lighter wiring.

6/ you will have to undo the 5 screws which hold the HVAC panel to the escution panel in order to get it out completely. these are convieniently accessed from behind. there are 4 on each corner and 1 in the middle. disconnect the cigarette lighter wiring.

Wha La! now to put the genie back into the bottle,,,

Unfortunately reassembly is even more tedious but basically a reversal of disassembly.

The trim in these cars are gettin chatty and its way too easy to break things. but if you take it easy then it should be good.

contact me via email if you have any problems.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:53   #3 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Hey plarsson,

Thanks for the detailed instructions. Muchly appreciated. Will definitely keep it for future reference. I must say it does sound very tedious to attempt even more so that the EF-EL dash assy which i've pulled apart myself.
I guess i can say i have pretty much every tool you mentioned par the radio prongs and the xray eyes lol.

I'm actually in no rush of doing the disassembly as i wanted to take it apart to resolve some little rattles in the dash pod, nothing is actually broken or anything. I guess when i get the added motivation to do it i'll give it a shot.

Cheers.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 02:09   #4 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

When you take your dash out XR Strider_guy to look for those rattles let me know what you find because my AU II has an anoying creak that comes and goes in that area as well.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 03:28   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, mines (AUIII) apart at the moment - I found two screws behind the ashtray and two on either side adjacent to the radio opening.

XR_Strider_GuY> There is actually not much behind there to cause a rattle so I'd be checking behind the glovebox area first.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 23:43   #6 (permalink)

A little tip to reduce rattles, creaks etc from dashes. Reduce the clearence between components with tape of foam. Sercure wireing, cables, hoses etc. Lube butting surfaces with silicone spray. And ensure you refit ALL clips and screws. I do this all the time on new cars and it drives me nuts. I've also been accused as being a real prick with finding faults in cars. Funny my car has more rattles then babyco from the bloody dash!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU