Ford Forums banner

AUII XR computer modes

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Black S 
G
#1 ·
I've seen the VX Commodore trip computer mod, where you hold the MODE button and UP button while starting the car. Then pressing MODE several times brings "hidden" information such as instant fuel consumption, temperature of coolant and a whole lot of other data. Does the XR have a simlilar mode?

Thanks. Cam.

G
#2 ·
yes!
but its not in the trip computer its in the odemeter(?) so works on all EF/EL's and AU too I would think and other models?

hold down the trip reset buttom on odemeter with ignition off. then turn ignition on/engine off and press the button three times quick than hold it on the third time and dont let it off till the display flashes.
now you are in the information mode and this will stay on for quite a while (like 200kms) and then a few days later while driving my dispay/guages all droped and died for a second and then its back to normal mode.

for the information display..
First one is litres in fuel tank, second one is water temp, third one is tacho and speedo.... etc etc

i think i told ya how to get it to work. if I told ya wrong someone will set ya straight.

sam

#5 ·
On my EF11 ex cop car if hold down the trip reset for about 20 seconds with ignition on you get to recalibrate the speedo,you can up or down on the speed reading till you get it spot on.handy for diff ratio swaps!Don't know about other readings you can get from it.

G
#6 ·
Tried this, worked first go for me. Seems to be a fair bit info available although I can't quite work out some of them. Found Oil Pressure, Voltage, Water Temp, Revs, Fuel level (basically the same stuff as the instruments) but some of the others I'm not sure of.

Does anyone have a proper Falcon workshop manual, not a Gregorys or Haynes, but the proper Ford ones. They would most likely have the some info about this "hidden" feature

Thanks

#8 ·
hi guys
in this set up on ef to el falcons there are several menus there is also a liters per 100kilometers and there are a heapof engineering numbers which mean nothing to the average guy there is also a instant liters per 100 kms its basically the trip computer built into your cluster, the trip computer you buy over the counter and the one that comes standard on high series is just a display unit all the info is in your cluster

#11 ·
So johnmans what you are saying is if I get the clock display unit from a fairmont and place it in my futura I can access these other functions.

But I suppose since having larger injectors installed and different diff ratio these calculations will be incorrect now.

#12 ·
Just checked with my EF2 Ghia. It took a couple of goes but does work. I had to hold the button in for about 20 seconds, Turn Ignition on, press 3 times, and on the third time hold for about 20 seconds, then press a final time. The EF workshop manual has no information regarding this, But I know the manufacturer, VDO, has this stuff as a standard for testing there dash. I.E. My old VK Calais had the same sort of Test on it. Finally, there is a sort of bus (wire system), between the trip computer, and the dash, and the trip computer only uses fuel flow, Speed from the Sender, and Fuel Level to calculate the trip computer functions. I dont know what many of the Dash Test Values are, so I cannot compare these to the trip computer readings, but if any one has any idea of what these values are, I would greatly appreciate it if they could shed some light on the subject. (Rumour has it that the speed calculation from the sender frequency can be altered, even without the Police Dash, But I have no idea how this is done.)

G
#13 ·
Ok everyone, this is how it is done!!! I know this works on my EL first time everytime.
Press and hold odometer reset and turn ignition on. Press odometer reset 3 times and hold until the fasten seatbelt light goes out then release the button.

The display will go blank then FORD starts flashing. You can then use the button to scroll information. Press and hold the button for a few seconds to exit and return to normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.