Battery-in-the-boot setup - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2004, 07:17   #1 (permalink)
The Guy You Love To Hate

Battery-in-the-boot setup

Hey guys. Im converting my 4.1 Crossflow-powered Fairlane to straight gas soon and want to route a pod to gas throttlebody intake system.
I want the pod to be as near to the front of the car as possible for a colder feed and rekon the battery location would be a perfect position.

So is it difficult to do a backyard battery-in-the-boot setup? I know abit about electrics/electronics. Ill probably get someone else to weld together a mount.

Any problems I might find? Is it dangerous to have the battery in the boot with the LPG tank? I heard that a charging battery creates hydrogen gas (BOOM!) which i wouldnt want in my boot along with the LPG tank.

Thanks
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2004, 18:07   #2 (permalink)
i'll never grow up

Re: Battery-in-the-boot setup

not sure about the LPG safety issues. prob call a LPG installer for that advice.. but the easiest way to relocate is to buy a battery box $30.. run heavy HEAVY duty cabling to the front and install multi lead mounting blocks.. cant think of the exact name.. but a block that allows your cabling to bolt to it and has spare accessory spots for any additional wires that require a permanant power source. they look very neat as well. you shouldnt need much more than joining the negative leads together.
95 Mustang GT 302: VQ-S2 Vortech - Edelbrock Intake - BBK 70mm TB - UPR Boostpipe - TwEECer - Walbro 255 & T-Rex fuel pump - MSD btm - Crane HI-6 - 36# injectors - Pro-m 80mm MAF - Kirban FPR - FMS 9mm leads - FMS 3.73 Gears - Transgo Shift kit - B&M cooler - Saleen guage pod, FMS Boost and FP guages - R/H drive - Eibach Springs - Holley headers, http://www.meales.com.au
gtcoupe95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 04:43   #3 (permalink)
ignorance is bliss

Dont know what else can be used but on my own car went to welding supply shop and bought a length of heavy welding lead and took it to auto-elec to get ends crimped onto it. Used a battery box and earthed neg lead to boot floor. Best see about your gas first though I`d say shouldnt be too much of a prob if you vent battery box to outside
clevokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 04:53   #4 (permalink)
i'll never grow up

im not trying to disagree im not an electricain but shouldnt the block have an earth strap direct from the battery?
95 Mustang GT 302: VQ-S2 Vortech - Edelbrock Intake - BBK 70mm TB - UPR Boostpipe - TwEECer - Walbro 255 & T-Rex fuel pump - MSD btm - Crane HI-6 - 36# injectors - Pro-m 80mm MAF - Kirban FPR - FMS 9mm leads - FMS 3.73 Gears - Transgo Shift kit - B&M cooler - Saleen guage pod, FMS Boost and FP guages - R/H drive - Eibach Springs - Holley headers, http://www.meales.com.au
gtcoupe95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 05:23   #5 (permalink)
Prof. Rabbit

As an electronics tech for 25 years here are a couple of important considerations,

Battery - consider using a gel-tech type marine battery, more expensive but no
free hydrogen gassing to worry about. These also have better cycling and more
"grunt" (last longer too)

Cable - go to an industrial machinery wreakers and buy some 3 phase cable,
they should have stacks lying about, you'll need 3 lengths 40% longer than
the measured distance in the car, with a copper cross section approx 6 to 8 mm,
total cross section for the cable should be 50% greater than the standard cable,
braid the cable for the full length, fit connectors as necessary, run cable through
black poly pipe for safety. Don't forget a battery isolation switch and/or fuseable
link for the electrics.

Regards Prof Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
Hey guys. Im converting my 4.1 Crossflow-powered Fairlane to straight gas soon and want to route a pod to gas throttlebody intake system.
I want the pod to be as near to the front of the car as possible for a colder feed and rekon the battery location would be a perfect position.

So is it difficult to do a backyard battery-in-the-boot setup? I know abit about electrics/electronics. Ill probably get someone else to weld together a mount.

Any problems I might find? Is it dangerous to have the battery in the boot with the LPG tank? I heard that a charging battery creates hydrogen gas (BOOM!) which i wouldnt want in my boot along with the LPG tank.

Thanks
prabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 21:11   #6 (permalink)

Welding cable works great too
roofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU