Ford Forums banner

Battery replacement

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  EA1191 
#1 ·
I have some electronic bits and pieces so tried saving the clock and computer settings when replacing the battery with an external battery plugged into the lighter socket. I do not know what is usually used but the accessory switch must be 'on' which turns on the radio light and if the door is opened the interior light would come on. The battery drain could be 1/2 amp so I used 6 'D' cells soldered together with a 1 amp diode in series. The center pin of the plug is positive and is connected to the positive of the external battery with the diode connected so that the battery will supply power to a load connected to the terminals of the lighter plug. The battery is plugged in through the open front window and the ignition switched to accessories.
This setup allowed lots of time to replace the battery, which is not made easy by the position of the coolant tank and the battery shroud, and to clean terminals etc.
Not sure if it was worth the trouble as last time I disconnected the battery it was only necessary to reset the radio code and otherwise all seemed normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.