Battery Shroud - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2004, 03:54   #1 (permalink)
jjj

cool Battery Shroud

Is the battery shroud required, I have an EA series II and i snapped a alternator/water pump belt in the middle of nowwhere yesterday at midday about 38degrees. I always carry a set of 3 belts in the boot and a tool box just incase something like this would happen. While trying to replace the belt, the battery shroud just got in the way. I nearly considered pulling the battery out and throwing the shroud to the side of the road. After loosing a bit of skin of my knuckles i finally got it on, but god damn it would of been easy if it wasn't there. The fuseable links wouldn't need heat sheilding would they?? i mean there only insulated copper wires.

cheers JJJ
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2004, 03:57   #2 (permalink)
Often has bolts left over

Re: Battery Shroud

a lot of people just throw them away. my uncle (who is a retired mechanic) said to me that it was the first thing to go on his :) he hasnt had any problems.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:18   #3 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

I'd leave it on for the cooling effect it would have around the battery. Apart from that they do get in the way. Apparenly some of the early EA's sufferd from batteries exploding so maybe this was one of the things they did to rectify that?

On the EB and onward the battery shroud has the scoop on the top of the radiator and vent which goes into the radiator shroud after the radiator and before the fan. Result: The fan pulls air in the scoop, around the battery and out.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:46   #4 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Take it off, if the battery doesn't boil you're laughing. Personally I've never heard of a problem with removing them permanently....

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 05:14   #5 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

If the battery was getting that hot I guess a larger flow of warm air would do more to cool it rather than little or no flow of cold air. I can't really see how they would get air flow around them as theyre pretty well a tight fit with no obvious place for air to exit.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:11   #6 (permalink)
R.I.P S/C EBII Fairmont

In the 20 months that I've owned my EA I haven't had a battery shroud. It was like that when we bought the car too, so who knows how long it's been gone for. It hasn't seemed to cause any problems. *touch wood*
j_biafra88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 13:27   #7 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

I think they were installed originally as NZ said, for cooling effects. I believe that the high underbonnet temps that developed in the e-series lead to abnormally shortened battery life - so they aimed to extend it by making it cooler . . .

Personally, I'd leave it on . . .
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 20:02   #8 (permalink)
oh no! I've gone ford mad

yeah I'd leave it on... can't hurt can it? mine comes off pretty easy when I want to work on the belts....

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU