Better Dash - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2003, 04:36   #1 (permalink)
Cant All Fords Be 5Spd

Better Dash

where would I go to find a EB2 dash with tacho, volt, oil metre and still mines a GLI I wanna put a fairmont or spack one in my car but I gone to some of the wreckers around here and cant seem to find one

would I have to buy one from ford
or should there be one a wreckers somewhere they seem to be a popular item there never in the cars lol
Bertis_EB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2003, 05:36   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

There should be plenty around in wreckers. A new one from ford will cost the earth, so look around. Try www.allpanelsandparts.com.au they have wrecked a couple of ED XR6's and fairmonts recently, so they may still have the dash's. They are down here in adelaide, but they ship australia wide and are good guys to talk to. You will also need to get the oil pressure sensor because yours will just be a switch for the oil light.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 15:01   #3 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

You will also need to wire in the tacho as the base model does not have provision for one.
I know I had to do it to mine.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 23:05   #4 (permalink)
Cant All Fords Be 5Spd

oh damn that sucks was it hard to wire up the tacho??
someone told me all the sensors and stuff work its just that the dash is changed
I guess they didnt know what they where talking about :(
E-Series Auto
Bertis_EB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 01:16   #5 (permalink)
Proudly Average

's a piece of piss - even i managed it... there are good instructions on www.fordmods.tk (cheers fordmods team!... love your work)

it's a pain in the arse to swap the oil senders - they're a funny shape that i couldn;t get off with a shifting spanner... my local mechanic did it for me for $10

other than that and the tacho wire, it's all a straight swap over - you might have to pull the "Low Coolant" bulb from the back of the dash, because your bottle won't have the sensor and the light will be permanently on

if you want i'll post instructions on how to swap the odometer info (non-dodgy way, you swap the whole speedo head) - a lot of people seem to leave the new dash's reading on... wonder why?
.020 over 351 Clevo, 10:1 comp, ported 302 heads, blueprinted and balanced, custom ground cam, Edelbrock intake, 600 Holley, K&N air filter, Custom Zip-Ties(tm), MSD ignition, Genie extractors, 2 x 2.5" exhaust, 2800rpm stally, rooted C4
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 05:14   #6 (permalink)

I just did this to mine wed/thurs! Using the instructions from fordmods (very handy) I got it all up and running real easy except for one minor problem.

My car is an Nov 92 EB2 sedan, but the only dash I could find was a July 92 Fairmont which didn't have the smartlock led. I checked the wiring using the info at fordmods and to my surprise I found that everything was wired up, including tacho! I managed to pull the smartlock LED from out of my old GLi dash but getting it into new dash is a pain as you would have to remove about 7 nuts which are easy to damage. So I broke out a drill and file to make a hole big enought for it to fit (where it was on my old dash). Did that after 20min, and it worked fine :)

Pulled out the low washer light and it plugged straight in with everything working. Now I need to get my hands on an oil pressure sensor, as no one seems to have one :/

Mods:
Fairmont dash, Pioneer DEH-P5550MP, Trip Computer, XH Snorkel, EL Thermo Fans
crYnOid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 05:32   #7 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Hehe....
tell ya whats REAL fun?

Trying to convert from the electronic dash back to the spak one!
Course only half the pins come out of the plugs, fortunately I've got a spare dash so I did it the hard way.....at least it easier to get the dash cluster out now as the wires are longer.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 14:08   #8 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

ok

No you wont need to wire up tacho at all. He has a eb 2 and its allready there. When i put my fairmont cluster in my eb II last year only thing it needed was a oil pressure sensor unit instead of the switch one.

Hey Crynoid try repco or burson or someone similar and get a new one i think i paid $40 for one of those sensors.

Steve B
AUPS
AU1SIXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 01:12   #9 (permalink)

I picked a sensor up from my local ford dealer (cheaper than normal due to my contact ). Now I don't know if it is the right one as it looks alot different to the old one that I have. The current one is white around the nut and with a black dome in the middle (i think thats it). The one I have got is all metal and has a bit over a 1 inch shaft with a small hole in the end (tht would enter the block), and a round tank thingy about an inch across on the other end of the shaft. Does that sound right???

Mods:
Fairmont dash, Pioneer DEH-P5550MP, Trip Computer, XH Snorkel, EL Thermo Fans
crYnOid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU