Ford Forums banner

Bigger battery for an EA

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  smdoherty 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience in fitting a bigger / non standard battery into an EA. Im looking to fit an optima or odyssey dry cell in the standard tray. The EA has a different mount to the EB - EB uses a rod over the top while the EA uses a clamp on the side - the dry cell wont have the grip on the side to allow the clamp to work.

Any info/advice/pictures appreciated

Thanks, Jase

#3 ·
I had an XF and put the biggest damn battery that would fit, it took up the entire battery tray, so I had to put an aftermarket battery hold down on. I had to drill some holes, and then no more prob

#16 ·
Well I reckon the orbital is an awesome battery, it runs the stereo at full volume for hours, it starts the car with such ease, it'll run a 32L car fridge for about 5 hours at least, it'll jump start anything, basically very powerful. I don't know much about the powercels, but from what I gather the dry cells like the optima and orbital look like they are far more vibration resistant and durable, and more suited to a car. But as I said, I don't know too much about these powercels.

Alex

#17 ·
Put a fuse on your positive line as close as possible to your battery terminal if youre going to put the thing in the boot.

If your cable shorts out it wont damage your battery, can buy the fuses from jaycar or marlows etc - or if youre fussy about brands a car audio store for stinger or dls...

I have a 57aH SLA Battery in the rear for my audio system which has a fuse at the front and the rear so that any shorts in between are protected, then a wire from rear battery into four 2.5fd caps (then more fuses) then amps.

Unfortunately (well sort of) I only have one sub in the boot now because of little bub's ears

Oh and the gas tank is about 2cm from the battery itself - only way for an explosion is if the gas starts leaking, then a brake light coming on would cause big bang. Dont think the battery is a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.