Blue Lights! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2002, 17:28   #1 (permalink)

Blue Lights!

MCCR now has a forum where a member of the TMU is answering questions, a question was posed about blue neons, washer lights etc. This is what he had to say:

There has been a lot of confusion in regard to the various colour neons, washer LED's etc in regard to what is and isn't allowed. This has come about because there are several rules and guidelines that effect them. Reports have been submitted to both the Police Policy section and Vic Roads to order to clarify it a bit better.

The Road Safety (Vehicles)(Vehicle Standards) Regulations 1999 S.R. No 54/99 Division 19 Section 118(2) states;
A vehicle may be fitted with any other light or reflector, except (unless sub-clause (3) applies) -
(a) a light that flashes; or
(b) a light or reflector that -
(i)shows a red light to the front; or
(ii)shows a white light to the rear; or
(iii)is shaped or located in a way that reduces the effectiveness of a light or reflector that is required to be fitted to the vehicle under the Vehicle Standards.

Although that says other lights can be fitted provided the above conditions are met the Vic Roads Technical Guide for Vehicles states;

Vehicle Standards Information 10: Installation of lights on Road Vehicles

Motor vehicles and trailers intended for use on the road must be fitted with lamps that comply with the Standards for Registration which for vehicles built on or after 1 October 1991 are the ADRs. The standards also prohibit a vehicle from being fitted with a lamp or reflector that is not required or permitted by the standards.

Road Rules - Victoria state

Rule 219
A driver must not use, or allow to be used, any light fitted to or in the driver's vehicle to dazzle, or in in a way that is likely to dazzle, another road user.

Definition of dazzle

1.v.t. confuse sight by excess of sight , intricate motion, etc, confound or surprise by brilliant display or prospect.
2.n. bright confusing light

I will let you draw your own conclusions from all of that. Hopefully they will clarify it soon so there will be no confusion with you being told different things out on the road. My own opinion is no they are not allowed. As far as I know there is no court ruling on it yet.

Also further down he answers there are *NO* reserved colours for Emergency vehicles.

In my opinion at least, blue washer lights do not dazzle anymore. There are more blue washer LED's out there than crazy commodore drivers. What do you guys think?
AcidBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2002, 17:34   #2 (permalink)

Other than their rice factor, they have no place on the washers, i mean it has no effect on the actual lighting in front of you do they? But then again you can use the same argument the other way, if they dont "dazzle" you then whats the worry. Each to their own, as long as they do not provide a hazard to other drivers and increase the risk of an accident then go for it.
madEAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 18:35   #3 (permalink)

Too Common

I agree with you Acid, they are so common now, that I don't believe people are surpirsed or "dazzled" by them. Which is exactly the reason why I probably won't fit any to my car.

Slightly off the topic I was putting petrol in my car last night and there was a Blue VL Calais just across from me doing the same. But as he left, I saw that he had blue neons beneath his car. As he did the usual Commodore driver exit technique (read: burnout on exit) it looked bloody mad. What is the legality of these?

Ash
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 19:31   #4 (permalink)

I saw an EA with green headlight bulbs the other day, it wasn't the headlights themselves or covers, it was the actual globe (he only had the parkers on at the time). I have to wonder why (and how). Maybe he was trying for the Craig Lowndes 00 Motorsport look?

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 19:37   #5 (permalink)

This is quite common, you can now buy little sleeves that fit over the parker lights and can be bought in heaps of colours, red, blue, green. Goes well with the rice look, but i have tried the red ones looked great till i got bored with it.
madEAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 00:01   #6 (permalink)
Formerly ELGhiaFury

mmmm...i should prolly remove my red parkers then
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 00:08   #7 (permalink)
Formerly ELGhiaFury

also, use coloured globes with caps for deeper colours, or get the special paint for globes and dip them a few times. I did have one blue and one red, but im sure you can see the problem with that, going green next I think.......

neons under the car are illegal, my mate has blue neon in his grill which also shine down to the road on his LTD ...looks tight
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 00:21   #8 (permalink)

been stopped twice

I have blue neons on washers

Have had them there since January .. when hardly no one had them

I got pulled over 2 times for em, then i disconnected them

I want to know if anyone knows the verdict ..
SOme say they are allowed now, some say they're not

Any Cops on here that can confirm?

Thanks

Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 02:49   #9 (permalink)
proffesional stupid head

Quote:
I saw an EA with green headlight bulbs the other day, it wasn't the headlights themselves or covers, it was the actual globe (he only had the parkers on at the time). I have to wonder why (and how). Maybe he was trying for the Craig Lowndes 00 Motorsport look?
One word, Green Headlight Fluid
Old 06-14-2002, 03:15   #10 (permalink)

umm, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that three words? <g>
AcidBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU