Ford Forums banner

Blue tinted Headlight Bulbs

5K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  KgB_83 
#1 ·
Is it possible to replace the standard Headlight bulb of the EF
to the one similar to a BMW ( with a slight blue'ish tinge to them)
Because they look a lot nicer, but im just wondering about the plastic Headlight housing melting.

#3 ·
go to american auto spares if your in sydney
or any asian little auto place

the ef/el's headlights are H1, buy Platinum Blue headlights (xenon 100w).. they are about $26 a pair.

otherwise there are h2/h3/h4 bulbs also and high beams also available in xenon blue/platinum/lighting/green look!

hope that helps!

ive done it already :) looks sweet!

#7 ·
sorry bout that!!!! lets try again I WAS TOLD THAT THEY ARE ILLEGAL BUT IM NOT TO SURE. Can any fellow police officers shed some light onto this? (pardon the pun).

#8 ·
I was after bulbs that wernt blue directly looking at them, and only slightly at diffrent angles driving past, but i would be keen to know if they are legal. Though I think they are stanard equipment on LEXUS, Merc's, and BMW's though I could be wrong

#9 ·
I saw a car in my rear veiw mirror earlier tonight which had green headlights, thought it was a bloddy set of traffic lights driving towards me. :wtf2: :wtf2:

And yes im pretty sure they are illegal

Here some info about them from a website

WHY ARE BLUE HEADLAMP BULBS DANGEROUS?

Halogen headlamp bulbs produce *very* little light in the blue
frequency range. These blue bulbs have a **filter coating** on them
that allows ONLY THE BLUE FREQUENCIES through the
filter. Because very little light is produced by a halogen bulb in
this range in the first place, it is only this very small amount--a
tiny fraction of the total amount of light produced by a halogen bulb
filament--that ever reaches the road. [Dangerous!!! - Al]

Headlamp illumination of the roadway and road hazards (including
pedestrians, cyclists, animals, other cars, etc.) is dramatically reduced
for the driver of a car equipped with blue headlamp bulbs.

Perversely, glare for oncoming traffic is sharply INCREASED when the
driver must look at headlamps that have been equipped with the illegal
blue bulbs. Why?

Blue is the shortest wavelength/highest frequency color of visible light,
and, as such, scatters the most readily. (To prove this to yourself,
find a dark blue storefront sign or something else that's a dark,
pure blue against a dark background in the absence of white light.
>From any appreciable distance, it's almost impossible for your eyes
to see the blue lighted object as a sharply defined form...the edges
blur significantly.) [Ever looked at blue letters on a TV screen?
They look fuzzy and hard to read - same effect. Al.]

When blue light strikes water (rain, fog, snow) it scatters in all
directions and makes on-road vision very difficult. Blue also is a
very difficult color of light to look at if it is at all intense...it
stimulates the reaction we call "glare".

#14 ·
you cannot get the xenon effect with normal vehicle headlights. The bulbs in xenon cars are totally different. You cant get the xenon effect by buying really expensive bulbs that say they give a xenon effect. The only way to replicate the xenon effect is to buy a conversion kit. This give you all the necessary wiring, relays etc. These kits cost bout 1000 bucks. So i dont think a 20 buck bulb will work.

#17 ·
All my lights are the Narva Plus 30's. I think they where $15 a pair from memory. They are bright white light (can appear blue from different angles), and a HUGE improvement over regular lights.

You can also get optiblue's from most auto parts places... about $25 a pair. They are actually white lights, but appear blue from an angle.

There is also really ricey ones called "fire and ice" which look either red or blue from different angles... they scare the crap out of you.....

#18 ·
I have the Narva's as well, and can vouch that they are good quality.

I originally had those Autotechnica blue/white light ones that you can get from SuperCheap. Absolute rubbish, as they only lasted for a couple of weeks, before the filament fell off.

I also have the Platinum white wedge bulbs, that you use for the interior, and park bulbs. These dont light up yellow, but rather white, and the bulb itself is coloured a very dark blue !
Funny thing is that these are brighter than the standard wedge bulbs (5Watt ones), so I guess that they also up the wattage on these as well...

#19 ·
I think what you are seeing in some late model cars are whats called "parabolic" [excuse the spelling and I may have pronounced it wrong as well] It's the reflector that do's that colour to stop glare. I think ???..Please correct if wrong...

The Xenon globes are slightly blue as well,more light per watt..
If illegal I cannot see why thay are allowed to sell them?

#20 ·
ebxr8240 said:
I think what you are seeing in some late model cars are whats called "parabolic" [excuse the spelling and I may have pronounced it wrong as well] It's the reflector that do's that colour to stop glare. I think ???..Please correct if wrong...

The Xenon globes are slightly blue as well,more light per watt..
If illegal I cannot see why thay are allowed to sell them?

xenon bulbs run at lower wattages.

#21 ·
im running platinum bulbs.

and they look like the audi's etc.
from front on they're blueish/white.

when u look from diff angles they change colour same as the others do.

you can buy them from asian auto places, from other stores.. supercheap/auto one/etc dont have them.

carmate have them, etc.

they're $26 and yes they are legal because they are no BLUE as some people are describing them, they are lighting blue which is a WHITE with a tinge of blue inside them! :)

ill post pic b4 end of week.

#22 ·
Hi all just thought i would put my 2 cents in and say.
I have bought 2 BOSCH H4 Xenon Blue gas bulbs .
as a replacement for my xr8 au II low beam lights .
and i must say it has a great effect and is the way to go.
they cost me $33 dollars each.
and worth every dollar
thanks
adrian

#24 ·
I dont know about it being legal or not, but from what i know i rekon it is.
My Uncle just bought a 2003 Honda Legend and the headlights are pure blue colour, no matter what angle you look at it. So if the car manufactures are producing cars with these lights then i assume they are legal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.