botch, and other auto electricians - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2001, 15:03   #1 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

botch, and other auto electricians

Could you go the the link at

http://64.4.22.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_l...goto%3dnewpost

and have a look at the ECU wiring stuff by ben and see if it makes sense? If you can't remember the details of an EA ECU relay, does the general idea seem possible? If he's right, I and a lot of others owe him an apology. There's no way anyone is prepared to try it on their own car, so an independent opinion from someone who knows what they're talking about would be appreciated. Thanks.

Seems to be a problem with the link. Please go to my thread "How to amuse yourself at the expense of others" in The Pub.
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2001, 22:44   #2 (permalink)
Chromed Member

sorry ea s, link didnt work and i cant find the other one mentioned. Can you post a link here ???????
botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 19:19   #3 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

botch

Sorry, and thanks.

Can't link direct, so please go to the topic
ben - jumping ECU - two cars now ruined - you fvcking idiot at
http://ford.i8.com/discuss.htm

In case you haven't seen the other posts on FF regarding that topic, the background is that ben puts up some improbable posts which are challenged by other members on the EA forum (like the current "Quarter mile" one where he reckons his 400,000k 3.9 CFI 3sp auto can do a 15.5 1/4). We were debating his assurances that an EA can be started through the ECU relay. I had a rush of blood to the head and for a laugh I started the topic above (as EA 238 on that page) pretending that things went spectacularly wrong when I tried it, and he sets out his method in detail in the replies.

Somebody else has since replied saying it works, but I don't know their qualifications and I'd still appreciate your opinion.

Thanks again.
Old 12-14-2001, 17:54   #4 (permalink)
Chromed Member

Man what a story! Thats a ripper. I better keep my eye on you.

I read all three pages there but couldnt find the original link / post by BEN so im not too sure on the wiring diagram or exactly what he is brigdging to get it going.
Old 12-15-2001, 18:50   #5 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by botch
Man what a story! Thats a ripper. I better keep my eye on you.

I read all three pages there but couldnt find the original link / post by BEN so im not too sure on the wiring diagram or exactly what he is brigdging to get it going.
You have no idea what a ball I had.

Sorry, I must have assumed it was clearer than it is because I've been following it from the beginning.

Ben is referring to the ECU relay below the headlight etc relays on the guard beside the battery. "Top" apparently refers to the part that is screwed to the body and "bottom" is the part that can be unclipped.

I've found from the manual that powering the ECU relay powers the pump relay, so pump power is not an issue. Ben reckons the coil is powered from the ECU relay by the connections he describes.

If I could follow a wiring diagram I might have been able to work it out for myself, but apart from the bleeding obvious they're a mystery to me.

Thanks again.
Old 12-15-2001, 23:49   #6 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

I reckon it would work. The EA's didn't have anything like or smartlock or anything like that. So as long as the computer and fuel pump get power then it's going to work. With the old cars you used to use one wire to the coil....
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 01:13   #7 (permalink)
Chromed Member

starting to understand....i think ?!?!

I know that the EFI XE and XF's (and possibly ea cpi) use a tachometeric relay to control the fuel pump. This relay has from memory about 8 terminals. I know that by bridging three of the terminals with the relay removed, this will run the fuel pump and give ignition power to the dash and ecu. Then by putting power to the start switch wire the car should start. I have done this a few times when the relay shiiits itself and there is no other EASY way of getting them going. The idea of this special relay is that it requires a signal from the dissy to let it know that the engine is turning over (either running or cranking). If you have a prang and the engine stops, it loses this signal and shuts off fuel pump and injectors to stop fuel from piiising everywhere. Good idea I suppose, From EB onward I think that this part of the circuit is now built into the engines ECU in kickpanel:s6:

BTW - Still trying to blow off an EFI manifold:s3 :s3 :s3
Old 12-17-2001, 16:00   #8 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Re: starting to understand....i think ?!?!

Quote:
Originally posted by botch

BTW - Still trying to blow off an EFI manifold:s3 :s3 :s3
No. I think I'll have to apologise to him now, as it seems it can work. Still had a heap of fun.

Thanks for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU