brighter head lights for XF - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2001, 19:32   #1 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

brighter head lights for XF

I have to get new globes for my high beam and I want to up the brightness of them as well as the low beams.
Has anyone had any experience with higher brightness globes in an XF.
I read part of a thread that was going on a while ago about changing the globes in a EF/L and was wondering if anyone knows if the same problems could arise with my XF.

Cheers.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2001, 19:46   #2 (permalink)

Smile Brighter lights

Hello!

I've just put in Sirius Halogen globes - I reckon they are about 70% brighter. I'm quite pleased with them, but at $50-$60 a pair, quite expensive. Beware though - one of mine was falty, and the manufacturer will not exchange because there is no warranty period at all.

Cheers!
211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 19:53   #3 (permalink)
Powered by HAD

I'm thinking that you'd probably have to 'upgrade' your reflectors as they seem to fry (over time) with the stardard globes, let alone brighter, higher wattage ones.
AusXH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 20:13   #4 (permalink)

Smile

The Sirius light globes are the same wattage as what you'd normally run, and run cooler than standard globes, so no upgrade of the reflector is necessary.
211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 20:43   #5 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AusXH
I'm thinking that you'd probably have to 'upgrade' your reflectors as they seem to fry (over time) with the stardard globes, let alone brighter, higher wattage ones.
Most XF's I've seen (including a few hundred I checked at Pick a Part looking for better reflectors for mine) have the reflector surface dulling or yellowed or peeling, so it might be worth checking them. DON'T try to clean them with anything except maybe a very light wipe with a soft cloth. A decent rub or cleaning fluid will only make matters worse, as I found out the usual way. My XF had far better lights when I got it at a couple of years old than in does now, and the difference is all in the reflectors.
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 20:48   #6 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Paul,

I used to run 90/110 globes in my XD and it fried the high beam switch on the stalk. If you run a higher wattage globe make sure you install a headlight relay (you can buy these almost anywhere) that will eliminate frying any switches. You will still have problems with your reflectors though. In my opinion you'll be better off making sure your reflectors are good and running a +30 or +50 globe.

Jase
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 21:45   #7 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

Jase

I thought of that too, but XF's already had them.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 22:05   #8 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

they also have circuit breaker that cuts out if too much current goes through it...
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 03:25   #9 (permalink)

90/100

I've been running 90/100's in my XD for a few years now no extra relay, and I've only ever had problems when I added 2 100w driving lights with no extra relay, melted the circut breaker. No worries now I've removed the driving lights. Must be lucky I supose.
XDSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 05:41   #10 (permalink)

I own an XF and i have the 100w H3 globes in. They are much better than the standard globes and I have not many problems at all. Before that I had 130w but they just kept on blowing after 3-4 weeks. The 100w seemed to fix it but you can certainly tell the difference. I have had no problems at all with the reflectors going that yellowy colour that you see alot of XF's have.

One problem I have however is that if you leave High Beam on for too long, say 25-30mins the headlights black out completely. Extremely frightning at 140kmh in a black as black street.

Maybe someone knows how to fix it??? I'm suspecting the circuit breaker??
Futura97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU