Broken Air vents - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2002, 02:40   #1 (permalink)

cool Broken Air vents

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has had the same prob as me. With the EF and possibly the EL the Fresh and Re-circ air is controlled by the L/h air vent. When I brought my car this vent had a broken flap which allows only fresh air in (no Re-circ function)

Well Ford can supply a new one for around 300 bucks and then another 400 odd to remove the dash and replace it. I was wandering through a wreckers just before christmas and found in the boot of an EF wreck a good air vent for the absurd price of 20 dollars.

All the others I checked were broken which leads me to the question - Has anyone had the same problem and what did you do about it?

All the best
Paul B
xr6wgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2002, 15:52   #2 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Same here matey, mine makes a click noise when you select re-circ mode but the sound of the air doesn't change so mines stuffed as well.

Bloody had with these bush fires around as i've gotta breathe smoke.

Still haven't bothered to do anything about it, btu i'd like too. Abit iffy on taking the dash of to fix it.

xr6wgn,
If you have a digi camera i'd like to know how this air vent thingo looks like and where it lives in the car. I know it's under the glove box towards the centre of dash.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 02:20   #3 (permalink)

Nah i don't have a camera but I'll tell you where it is.
If you look up under the left hand side of the glovebox you will see an air inlet. When you hit the fresh / recirc switch (with the engine running) vacuum is supplied to the vent and the flap opens or closes. With someone hitting the switch and you under the dash you might be able to see what's happening. The whole thing is made of plastic and I reckon that's the reason they keep breaking.

anyway I'll catch yah later

Paul B
Old 01-07-2002, 04:02   #4 (permalink)
Chromed Member

Arrow QUICK FIX ----- FIX IT FOR FREE!!

If you want to leave the climate control in the RECIRC mode only (recirculating cabin air). Then here is a quick fix....

Push the flap up with your hand and hold.
Remove glovebox and put a self tapping screw through the ducting to hold the flap in the UP postion, thus leaving it in recirc mode.

By keeping the climate control in recirc mode, it actually makes the aircon work better by keeping the cold air cool, not making hot outside air cool. The only downside is that if you have a passenger in the front with smelly shoes or drops wind then you'll all suffer:s3
botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 06:46   #5 (permalink)
Future BA XR6T Pilot

My EFII XR6 has the same problem. When I got the car RACV tested, the guy said that it is a fault with the vent and most of them have the same problem. He also said that if you replaced the flap, it would probably brake again. So its way too much trouble to pull the dash out to fix the vent that will break again.

Krusic
krusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 01:19   #6 (permalink)

Question I've just encountered the same problem

I think that the EB shares the same recirc vent as the EF. I was replacing the Aircon Evaporator in the heater box of my EB and noticed while re-fitting everything that the rod connected to the flap that is used to open and close the vent (for recirc/fresh air had snapped.

It looked like the cheapest and mose fragile mechanisim in the whole heater/aircon setup.

Given the way the section is manufactured, fixing this problem requires purchasing a whole new section of duct with the vent, rod and diaphram. What I noticed on the new one I purchased from ford (Genuine Part) for $100 was that the piece of plasting that connects the rod and the vent door has been changed and looks much strong then part it replaces.

I'd suggest that you go to ford and get them to show you one compared to the one you found at the wrecker. It's possible they have updated the design because of them breaking all the time!

Cheers,

Jason.
EBFairmontS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 01:30   #7 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Yep, had the same problem too with the EF XR6 and an EA Falcon, I had to replace the A/C evap on the XR, did the job myself. I didn't bother replacing the broken leaver, mine had broken off at the 'crank end' so I drilled slightly, put a self tapper in and glued it for good measure, been perfect ever since.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 06:04   #8 (permalink)
exodius

im cool too.. quite literally.. with the aircon and i have the same prob

sorry, need a bit of sense of humour on here somestimes.

in all seriousness, my flap doesnt do anything, hit recirc button and dont even hear a click, that means flaps dead or whats the deal? and HOW the hell do u rip it out? i dont wanna rip my dash out, i really dont, done that already not long ago!
Old 01-09-2002, 13:48   #9 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Quote:
Originally posted by exodius
sorry, need a bit of sense of humour on here somestimes.
Yes you do. No need to be crude though..
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 00:39   #10 (permalink)

Hi all,

I've been reading all of your replies and yep they are exactly what I expected. It really makes me wonder if my beloved Fords have actually progressed. The other car I own is an ESP XD - over 20 years old and the only problem that's had with the ventilation was the rubber hoses cracking. After replacing all those, all vents still work as good as the day I drove it out of the showroom. The thing that irks me is Ford must know of these type of problems but what do they do about it - Didley Squat and just make it worse in the next model.

anyway I'm off my soap box now - funny thing though, even my parts guy told me to put the self tapper through it. makes you wonder sometimes what they really know.

TTFN - stay cool HoHo
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU