bypass smartlock ... hmmm - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2003, 00:56   #1 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

Question bypass smartlock ... hmmm

Without starting a debate on why, I am evaluating the feasibility of a “remote start” feature for E series cars. Now the only problem I can see is fooling smartlock. Do a search for “smartlock” and you get 7 pages of results so maybe my trawling has missed something If not I’m wondering if anyone can help me with this.

I’ve spoken with a Ford electrics guy and he said that there is a harness that they use to send permanent enable signals to the ECU for diagnostic purposes. I assume that this is just a piggy back loop-back type device. I think that this would allow me to switch smartlock in and out of circuit with a solenoid that is remotely triggered.

The question is; can anyone help me with obtaining the schematic for this test harness. Note that I’m not at all interested in thieving or assisting thieves in any way and if you wish, please PM me any info that you wish to share… This is already information that is available and I believe that I can still make the car relatively safe due to the unique nature of the smartlock bypass (a thief would not expect the extra circuitry. I’m just interested in remote start and it’s applications and would really appreciate any help you guys could give me.

Many thanks in advance!
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2003, 09:09   #2 (permalink)

I also have the same issue, i have got a remote start alarm and the remote starting function will not work unless the key is in ignition. if anyone can give me any ideas that would be appreciated. i have disconnected the 4 wires that go to the key barrel (not the huge starter, acc, on wires) they look like smartlock wires, if i could figure out what to do i would be set, however after a few sessions with the multimeter i have yet been able to figure out what wire does what - they could ultimately be hooked up to a relay and when the start is enabled the relay could make and/or break the circuit

If anyone has any information that may help me can u PM me.
BeNcHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 18:31   #3 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

or post any ideas in this thread! c'mon guys, I know this can be done
Old 07-19-2003, 19:24   #4 (permalink)

Re: bypass smartlock ... hmmm

The reason the remote start will only work when the ignition is in the barrel, is because the smartlock era ignition barrels, have a laser setup inside, which scans the key in the barrel, and if correct will send the message to the smartlock module. Once the smartlock module gets the message from the barrel, itll send a message to the ECU, saying 'Enable', allowing ECU to send a message to the starter relay, etc.
If the ECU doesnt get this message, the car wont start, and thats smartlock.

And from what i know, you cant have remote start with Smartlock. So you need to disable smartlock, but its rather difficult, because the smartlock module has a multi-pulse wire to the ECU. A bloke named 9psi EB knows how to do it, so PM him.
1966 Blue Ford Galaxie - 4Dr Sedan, Pwr Steering, 302 Windsor, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, 650 Holley Race Custom , Crow Cam 15666, Rollmaster Camgear, Heads Ported, MSD 6AL Ignition, MSD Billet Dizzy, Crane Energizer Roller Rockers, C4 - Stage 2 Shift Kit, HiStall 2500rpm, B&M Z-Gate Shifter, XY GT Radiator, 2.92 9" Diff, Dual Thermofans, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, RCI 16gal Fuel Cell.
AusCaRnAgEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 20:58   #5 (permalink)
Hanging Around

The smarlock signal to the ecu is a waveform signal.
There would be no way of getting the smartlock unit to output this signal without it all connected correctly.

I have heard you can buy a device from ford with outputs this signal continuously, therefore will allow the vehicle to be remote started, but i think the price was around $250-300.

There may be a way to make a dual oscillator and try to replicate the smartlock signal, it will take a lot of trial and error to get the signal the same, and in the end, it may not even work.... The signal may possibly be a data stream.

Personally, i wouldnt worry about the remote start feature...

9psi EB
Old 07-19-2003, 21:09   #6 (permalink)

obviously it can be done because there is 4 wires goin to the key barrel. i will try and get my hands on a Cathode Ray Oscilloscope to get the wave form off the module. i personally think that it may be a switch in the keybarrel that allows these signals to pass. however i may just have to forget about the whole idea of a car starting remotely without the keys :(
BeNcHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 00:08   #7 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Or you could put a second ignition barrel out of sight with a key permanently in it (unless you take it out for added security); just connect no power wires and use your original barrel for running the car.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 04:21   #8 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

Ach, I'm sure the ford device 9psi EB is speaking of is just a loop back or something really simple like that. You could replicate the signal using a CRO and with an oscillator or a Schmitt trigger or something but a data stream I don't think so
Old 07-20-2003, 06:45   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

My EF has had it bypassed, got no idea how, but according to the previous owner the ignition wouldn't work sometimes, so she got a remote start button wired in.
AndrewsXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 17:59   #10 (permalink)
Hanging Around

!Gn|T|0n,

I doubt it is any type of "loop back" due to the signal,
I've actually captured the signal, and there is no way the ecu will output this signal, so that you can "loop it back"
Ford are much smarter than that...

AndrewsXR8 - you will find the smartlock module is still active and is outputing the correct signal to the ecu. they may have just bypassed the ignition and start relays (wire around the smartlock module)
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU