can pwr windows/cruise be installed ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2004, 06:26   #1 (permalink)

can pwr windows/cruise be installed ?

heya guys,

just lookin thru a few piccies and was wondering, in my AU II ute.. it didnt come with power windows nor did it come with cruise control. i love both of these items, particularly the cruise as i do alot of runs from here on the sunny coast down to brissie and there is rarely never a speed camera hence why i wanna know, how hard is it to put both of these items into a car that doesnt already have it ? and approx how much does it cost ? i was just hoping for approx costs or comments from anyone who had previously done it.
thanks for your help champs.

borry
borry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2004, 17:47   #2 (permalink)

Re: can pwr windows/cruise be installed ?

Yep, i've done both to mine. Not too hard if you know a bit of electronics, takes a little time but well worth it. Costs:
Automatic window regulators: About $100 from wreckers
Cruise computer:Bout $100-$200 from wreckers
Cruise Buttons:About$50-$80
Cruise on/off controller arm:about $150 new
You also need wiring info of the cruise computer(car manual or prob available here)
I wired the power windows independantly(not connected to BEM) because i believe i would have needed a new body electrics module which i didnt have funds for after doing everything else.
am_bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 01:56   #3 (permalink)

i have electical know how... not that much byt the sounds of things, unless its easier then it sounds. so im lookin at bout 500 odd bucks, thats not too bad i guess.. but then wouldnt i need different door trims, or speaker grills ? power window buttosn for both arm rests etc etc...???
Old 08-16-2004, 16:06   #4 (permalink)

Thats extra yeah, I forgot to mention that. but i'll take a pic of what i did and you make up your own mind.
Old 08-17-2004, 16:08   #5 (permalink)

Here's the pics of the custom rocker and switch for the 2 front power windows i installed. Works great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pwrWindows.jpg (54.1 KB, 88 views)
Old 08-17-2004, 16:33   #6 (permalink)
I want my brothers car.

i have the front p/w, but has anyone done the rear?? is it harder than the front??

(OFR #10)
BF F6 Auto APS PHASE 3 11.44@125.7MPH Autotech Edit Tuned
Hamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 16:43   #7 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

Hi my business is doing power windows ...central locking etc I can do 4 door power window work but it is about an 8 -10 hour job fitting after market windows.The good thing is though that it retains the standard winder so that you can remove it and put it on your next car.For about 2 doors I think a brand new kit will set you back 5-600 dollars installed with warranty..or you can go get some from the wreckers and hope that they arent too old because the damm gears break in them...
useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 17:25   #8 (permalink)

Rear would be pretty easy in my opinion after doing the front, it's my next electrical project on the car. The hardest bit is running the wiring to the doors, other than that a just finding the auto window regulators from somewhere.
Old 08-17-2004, 23:01   #9 (permalink)

those power window switches look pretty damn good, however im more interested in cruise control if someone knows a little more about it... useless... how much would that kit be for a ute ? considering its only two windows.. or is it still 500-600 ? if i can do it for around 400-500 i would consider doing it.

oh one thing, ont he dirvers side door... whats that metal thing sticking out infront of the power window switch ?
Old 08-17-2004, 23:17   #10 (permalink)

That metal thing is a push switch that controls either the passenger side window or drivers side just by pushing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU