Cleaning Leather - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2004, 03:04   #1 (permalink)
wants a manual!

Cleaning Leather

I have recently purchased some EB Ghia full leather seats and just want to know what is a safe product to use on leather with out taking half the colour away but still cleans it. i tryed using spray and wipe it cleaned the rears up nicely mainly due to them being pretty clean already but the 2 front seats still have grime in the creases of the leather and it just looks a bit odd with dark lines through it. i was thinking of using the polyglaze upholstery cleaner worked good on my cloth seats. any other suggestions? have already got some meguires gold class leather conditioner so ill finish with that after they are clean.
John_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2004, 13:04   #2 (permalink)
TQE FAIRMONT GHIA

Re: Cleaning Leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_xr6
I have recently purchased some EB Ghia full leather seats and just want to know what is a safe product to use on leather with out taking half the colour away but still cleans it. i tryed using spray and wipe it cleaned the rears up nicely mainly due to them being pretty clean already but the 2 front seats still have grime in the creases of the leather and it just looks a bit odd with dark lines through it. i was thinking of using the polyglaze upholstery cleaner worked good on my cloth seats. any other suggestions? have already got some meguires gold class leather conditioner so ill finish with that after they are clean.
Dont know if they do in Australia but CRC do a mag wheel cleaner that comes in a purple spray bottle. Part no is 9200. This stuff is non acidic and biodegradable etc. I used it on my ED seats and it stripped the dirt very easily. After they are clean dont waste your time on "leather conditioners" go to a saddlery and get some proper leather conditioner that horse people use on saddles etc. This makes the leather VERY soft and supple and gives it a nice matt finish. I find stuff like Meguiars and the like just make the leather hard and shiny which feels horrible....
Old 03-24-2004, 23:38   #3 (permalink)
wants a manual!

thanks for info BOON250. will try the products. should have some sort of equivelant over here.
Old 03-25-2004, 00:06   #4 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

if theres crap stuck in the seams you could also try a babies toothbrush.
Old 03-25-2004, 00:53   #5 (permalink)
TQE FAIRMONT GHIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
if theres crap stuck in the seams you could also try a babies toothbrush.
ah this is a good point!!! Ingrained dirt can be loosened with an old toothbrush!!
Old 03-25-2004, 04:12   #6 (permalink)
wants a manual!

when i cleaned them i used one of those yellow/green scouer things. good for cleaning large areas but not ingraned dirt. will try your tooth brush theory. i dont know why i didnt think of that in the first place. i used one to clean up my interior plastics.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:02   #7 (permalink)
If Only I Had Lexus Power

I have just finished doing my whole car with the crc wheel cleaner ( got it from repco) and some Oakwood leather conditioner i got from a horse place as you suggested ( It was only $14 and worked a treat) This all worked really well and it was surprising how much crap came off my seats which looked really clean anyway ( They are cappucino seats so they show dirt easily)

Thanks

Ash
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
redGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 01:07   #8 (permalink)
wants a manual!

redghia- with this wheel cleaner was it spray on and wipe off or did you have to scrub hard to get the dirt out?
Old 03-27-2004, 06:44   #9 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Mate the best thing ive found to use is Saddle soap, you buy it from a boot maker or sadler, you can use it with a towel, or a brush then wipe it off with a towel.
This also has conditioners in it.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 16:10   #10 (permalink)
If Only I Had Lexus Power

Spray on, wipe off. I had to scrub the drivers seat a bit though, but just with the towel i was using for the rest of the seats

Yes i know it sounds bloody harsh to use wheel cleaner on the seats, I was sceptical too which is why i tryed a patch out of the way first, but it came up so clean and soft and didnt have any bad effects as yet
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
redGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU