Cleaning Radiator reservoir : How? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2003, 23:07   #1 (permalink)
Still Dazed and Confused

Cleaning Radiator reservoir : How?

Like the title says, how do i clean the radiator reservoir out of my ef falcon. I have it off at the moment, trying to clean it, but if all else fails, go to FF.

Anyone have any ideas?

If there's commotion coming from the passenger seat, and nothing but earth going round and round outside the windows,.......then everything is not as it seems!

The only time you have too much fuel, is when you're on fire!
rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2003, 00:06   #2 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Re: Cleaning Radiator reservoir : How?

Put some ball bearings and soap and water inside and shake it all about.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:19   #3 (permalink)
cArSiK

yea , i want to clean mine aswell....

Does the Ball bearing trick really work?
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 04:48   #4 (permalink)
Still Dazed and Confused

The ball bearing thing isn't going to work. I tried putting sand in and shaking it all around, then figured out that the chambers are joined by a small hole (to save the splash-back effect i suppose).

There's gotta be a strong chemical type of stuff I can put through it to work. Tried the Kettle cleaning stuff ( worked a charm on the kettle) But didn't break through the crap l've got sitting in my reservoir. Thought about TLC, but is not recommended for plastics.

Also thought about splitting the bloody thing and do it that way, but most likely would crack the thing, or not glue it back together, therefor splitting in half when a ittle pressure builds up.

Anyway, l'll sit and scratch my head a little longer, and hopes that something pops in.

If there's commotion coming from the passenger seat, and nothing but earth going round and round outside the windows,.......then everything is not as it seems!

The only time you have too much fuel, is when you're on fire!
rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 05:22   #5 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

The ball bearings works on the older models (pre bubble tank). Tried CLR?
Old 08-18-2003, 05:32   #6 (permalink)
gone

Why not just paint it to the body color, leaving a small section to show fluid level!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 05:39   #7 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

flexible bottle brush? lol

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 06:21   #8 (permalink)
D.T.A

have done this but just take care get some "drain O" cleaner some really decent rubber gloves full length then (obviously with it out of the car!) half fill with cold water (trust me it'll get hot in a few seconds! if you can find a cork or something to plugg the bottom hole even better!!) okay gloves on kiddys half fill it and tip in some of the draino making sure to get the swarf (very sharp bits of small metal shavings thats in it for those that dont know!!) poor it in put the radiator cap back on and shake the crap out of it!! let it sit for a few mins then do it again then again it'll take a few mins of shaking and letting it set to break it all up and get it loose when it gets dirty enough empty it and do it all again till it gets cleaner (it does work and the draino doens't hurt the plastic read the label if you dont believe me!) anyway once tyou've got it clean make sure you flush it thoroughly by shaking it tilting it etc until all of the swarf comes out then once satisfied that it's clean put it back in and remember to flush the rest of your system and put some decent glicole content coolent in it and there ya go green fluid thats now visable in the bottle!!
this does work it takes about an hour of stuffing around but trust me done it to my ef and it is very much fine and now clean!!!
hope this helps you guys out...
cheers
Nev
COMING THEN GOING SOON:ED Futura Sedan, Gunmetal respray, superlows, camber kit, BA 17's rep's & ED Ghia interior, 20% tint, shift kit, exhaust + stereo & whatever else comes to mind! Then will be up 4 sale!
LWRDEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 15:46   #9 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

I use dishwasher powder... and let it soak for a while. If there are any marks still left, then I use a bottle brush.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:10   #10 (permalink)

Re: Re: Cleaning Radiator reservoir : How?

Your probably not going to be able to clean it up very well because its not just dirty the plastic will be stained & you'll probably never remove the staining

Quote:
Originally Posted by laminge
Why not just paint it to the body color, leaving a small section to show fluid level!
I like this idea cleans up the engine bay & looks great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU