computer - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2003, 17:57   #1 (permalink)

computer

Does anyone know of anyone who actually services computers and sensors for cars? Also, how often have people had to replace their computer cause its died or had problems? I am looking at some different ideas of new things to take on to repair and if theres no one else and there is a demand for it, I might take on repairing all these things...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2003, 21:52   #2 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

An interesting idea. The only time I had my ECU replaced was when Ford fitted the wrong one and my power steering behaved wierdly. I've not heard of anyone with computer failures - but that's not to say that it doesn’t happen of course! Do you currently do this sort of work? If not you'd need circuit diagrams for the different computers and the usual equipment, CRO etc. Are you gonna use testing harnesses so you can power the units and provide different I/O signalling to diagnose faults / bugs without the cars attached?
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 22:02   #3 (permalink)

I would be looking into it. Probably start small with reco'ing sensors like MAF etc. But was wondering what sort of demand there would be. I will let everyone know if I do do it cause it would be a lot cheaper than buying new.... maybe... These sort of things I have to look into. I currently work as a repair technician on TV, VCR cordless phones etc. Consumer electronics, and am looking at ways to expand into different areas and EFI components would be interesting, cause I dont know if anyone does this already. Just thought of it last night and thought this would be the perfect place to see if anyone knows about demand for this kind of work...
Old 04-01-2003, 22:22   #4 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

I have heard of ECU failures, but very rare. About the only drama people have with them is buildup on the terminals.
Certinly an interesting idea though, maybe look into a way of repairing TFI modules etc, if thats possible, there would definately be a demand for that on here!

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 22:31   #5 (permalink)

that's true, cause I priced one of them a while ago from ford and it was about $110 or so. Thanks for your views though. I am seriously thinking about what I can do....
Old 04-02-2003, 01:08   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Electronic tunning is the way to go. But you need a reputation in it then you are set.But thats with most bussiness right ??
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 05:06   #7 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Depending on the fault you may be able to fix it yourself; if they're of a physical or mechanical nature they can be fixed easily and it's worth checking for; such things as cracks on the PC board, dry joints, fatigued solder joints (one solder joint has come away from the PC Board) and less often obvious component failure (eg exploded capacitors). These faults can be reasonabley common expecially on older high milage cars.
Old 04-02-2003, 14:43   #8 (permalink)

I was thinking more of not just repair, but total replacement of all components, depending on what price is involved. Take them all off, clean up the board and check it over, then replace everything, seal it up, give it a test and sell it. This would be the case only if there was going to be a decent saving over buying the unit brand new. I will look into doing this and see how I go...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU