Ford Forums banner

Computer and battery disconnection

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  BoZZa17 
#1 ·
The manuals say that the information in the computer and radio can be saved when the battery is disconnected by connecting a 9 volt battery to the cigaret lighter. I assume it is connected in series with a diode, as the difference in voltages would result in a large current flow.
How is the battery connected and used and what size. As the drain is probably milliamps, would a small battery be OK?

#2 ·
You can buy at most auto parts store (and K Mart) ready made items that plug into the lighter socket or connect accross the battery terminlas with croc clips and take a standard 9 volt Everyready/Duracell etc I have one and will check to see if it has a diode or whatever but I doubt it. If you have a battery backed alarm system the battery in that will also keep the memory alive.

#3 ·
How risky is it to disconnect end connect sensors without disconnecting the battery. There are a few small problems and the only way to solve them seems to be to check most of the sensors. I was going to use a small battery to save the memory when the battery was disconnected, but that would leave power to the computer and my experience with desktop computers would suggest that removing cards or accessories from a computer with the power connected could cause faults. All the sensor inputs may be protected. The manual mentions disconnecting sensors when the engine is running but also warns to disconnect the battery before disconnecting a sensor.

#5 ·
at worst, your computer will have to re-learn your driving and you will have to pre-set your stations in your radio
i have disconnected my battery twice in the last week
the car only drives a bit funnny for 15min while it is learning to idle ect

its a fun 15 mins, everytime i put the cluch in to change gears it would stall because the car hasnt learnt where it should idle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.