computer mods - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2001, 06:41   #1 (permalink)

computer mods

To those of you in the know!! After adding a EL XR6 head + EL twin scroll Intake + cam + exhaust + pod filter and cold air. Will the standard EB2 ECU handle all these mods efficently or should I be looking at an aftermarket chip or updating to an ELXR6 ECU?? Someone mentioned the XR6 ECU would give more positive shifting to auto??
Cheers
KSK
kiwi skid kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2001, 19:19   #2 (permalink)

how dids you get the intake runner butterflys to activate
madaboutfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 05:57   #3 (permalink)

Good question, guy who was doing mods assured me it could be done and that he has done it before.... to date all mods complete except for EL intake!!! He is trying to blame it on the cam.. then came up with some story about how the original intake is just as good performance wise????? I give up, looks like I`m stuck with original intake at this stage... goes well but needs an urgent diff ratio change. Searches a bit at idle and seems to suck the gas.
kiwi skid kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 08:59   #4 (permalink)

KsK..you need a Unichip...it will solve ya probs with hunting and feul consumption, because on the dyno they can lean out the Fuel to a safe level
roTor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 10:19   #5 (permalink)

i didnt think you could get the butterflys to work you need a el ecu to make the butteflys come on and the vaccumm pump that sits at the ns shock tower
madaboutfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 04:00   #6 (permalink)

There is a very easy way to activate the EL dual scroll manifold, as its electronically controlled all you need is a simple adjustable rev switch to activate the shorter runners. Just adjust the changeover point on the dyno by doing a run with short one with long...overlap them and choose where the power curves cross....Gook luck : )

Justin
Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 10:56   #7 (permalink)

why dont ya just buy an EL XR6, instead of putting all the bits on ya EB.
Fireman Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 06:21   #8 (permalink)
Dom01

computer mods

Where do I start? Well an XR6 EEC-4 will give you a 5800 Rev limiter, better shift pattern along with fuel and ignition mapping to suit the XR6 engine while the Police EEC-4 will also give you an improved shift pattern with the added bonus of no speed limiter and six grand rev limiter (im not sure about fuel and ignition mapping) but it was never released as a XR6 Police pack in EEC-4 form so performance may vary.

(For those that may be confused an XR6 engine only differs from standard by the improved head casting and valve train, namely the valve springs,(larger valves on EF up models) XR6 cam, higher presure fuel regulator 270 to 300 kpa, red rocker cover, XR6 mapped EEC and XR Exhaust system (Twin system on early XR's) and clutch kit, The rest is all the same.
The only XR'S outside this spec are the 25 EB XR6 SS falcons that were built.)

You can keep your stock EEC as it will run your engine but not to its full potential as its mapping will not take advantage of the cam & head mods nor will it operate the Duel runner manifold.
A simple shift lite kit from Jaycar Electronics can be employed for this duty, the manifold (butterfly) standard changeover point is at 3800 RPM but with the advantage of adjustability you could choose the suitable point yourself on a dyno!
The other posibility is to fit an EL XR6 EEC-V (in stock xr or xr police form) as it will run your thermo fans, Knock sensor and duel runner manifold.
The EEC-V has improved mapping more suitable to the EF/EL head and cam, increased memory & proccesing capabilitys along with the extra functions.
Im currently running an EL XR6 EEC-V unit on my EB 4.0 with EL XR head,duel runner manifold (yes it fits!), Knock sensor and thermo fans with the only problem at the moment being an incorrect trip computer reading and a odd fuel consumption pattern that is more than likely my driving ( I DRIVE IT LIKE I STOLE IT!), it will do 100 KM without moving of full if I take it easy and drink a quarter of a tank in 50 KM if I push it!.
Im running an EF/EL 3:45 4 pinion lsd Diff (it has bigger brakes) and V8 gearbox with the GT fine spline input shaft ( the same ratios as th EB XR6 SS used) This is the setup to have!
The EEC-V will Plug straight in and should run (providing you have Smartlock otherwise there are more mods) but Im not sure if it will run the auto correctly as this is something I havnt personaly tried although the wiring diagrams seem to match.
If you want details and pics EEC numbers and availability just post your email address and ill pass it on to you, Its not hard to do, and easyer if its a 5 spd manual.
Goodluck
Dom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU