Crappy cold starting - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2004, 19:36   #1 (permalink)
Purveyor of filth

Crappy cold starting

Hi all. I am that scatterbrained at the moment that I can't remember posting about my car's cold start problems. If I have I apologize but here goes.

On my carby XF, I have a cold starting problem. I suspected that it could be the plugs, so I changed them. NO difference. I tested the ignition leads. Fine and dandy. Checked and changed the coil, (resistance readings were off a little). Still no change. Had a mate check the dizzy and he says it's in good nick. The carby I changed myself not three months ago and its in very good nick. So what could the problem be??? It's driving me nucking futs
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2004, 19:38   #2 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

Re: Crappy cold starting

timing or base idle?
Old 06-02-2004, 19:40   #3 (permalink)
Purveyor of filth

Initial timing is at 10 deg and idle is at 750 or thereabouts. Could the control unit be playing up?
Old 06-02-2004, 19:52   #4 (permalink)
Lyrical Mastermind

whatever it is i think im having the problem as well now winter has set in mate, keep me filled in if u find anything out

"Hey, it compiles! Lets sell it" - What Microsoft probably says about all its products.

If what i'm saying isn't making any sense, im not drunk, im just like this all the time..............ok so maybe im drunk, but thats beside the point...
xf_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 20:02   #5 (permalink)
Purveyor of filth

Could it be the alternator or the battery?
Old 06-03-2004, 00:28   #6 (permalink)
Lyrical Mastermind

well when i try to start mine and it does it, it sounds like its the battery....but only a week or two ago after we put my sub in we checked the battery with a multimeter and she was healthy and i doubt ive drained it in that small time, so yeah im stumped

"Hey, it compiles! Lets sell it" - What Microsoft probably says about all its products.

If what i'm saying isn't making any sense, im not drunk, im just like this all the time..............ok so maybe im drunk, but thats beside the point...
xf_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 00:33   #7 (permalink)
Fords biggest Freak

A good starter motor helps to, get one that turns over faster. Did this on my old 85 XF and never had a problem kickin it over.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:18   #8 (permalink)
E-Series wagon owner

i had problems cause had a 260cca battery then i upgraded it to a 450cca and it starts like nothing now :s5 btw i have a cfi ea

Mods to come: 2.5'' lukey cat-back mandrel bent exhaust with 1 resonator and 1 straight thru muffler, EF cam, Clear indicatros all round, AU3 XR snorkel, 17" Keizzer rims, EDxr front,12"sub,sports wheel

In Progress: EF door trims

Pics Here: www.edwagon.tk
mad_ea_spac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 02:27   #9 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

ok i have similar issues. if i pump the accelerator a few time then start it and get off the gas straight away it idles just nice. but if you give it some revs or something then let your foot off it goes mental! shakes like shit and doesnt idle properly. this is only cold, when its warm its fine. ive had it all tuned yet it still does it. also about the battery, if i put it on the charge and the battery is fully charged it just idles like a dog till its warm for the next few days till the excess power has been lost from the battery. i dont have issues with cranking or a flat battery or anything though. think it may just be one of those things you cant really do much about.
Old 06-05-2004, 22:22   #10 (permalink)
Roll, Crash and Smash

yeah i really doubt that its the battery

AMBROSE CHAMPION AGAIN IN 2004
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU