Dark EL Odometer display. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2004, 02:52   #1 (permalink)
cArSiK

Dark EL Odometer display.

Hey everyone , as the title says what could cause a Dark digital Odometer display on an EL dash? You can just make out the numbers but its very faint.Is it just a globe that has gone?

Also , how do you put the dash into diagnostic mode ?

cheers
james
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2004, 03:47   #2 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

Re: Dark EL Odometer display.

it is a globe that has gone. i had this problem once on my AU where the left hand side of the odo went dull. turns out there are 2 globes and one just stopped working. if your game to pull your dash apart you can fix it yourself.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:28   #3 (permalink)

Or like in my case, your running an EL Fairlane/LTD cluster with a low series BEM, which hasnt got the LCD dimming function. Remedy: Install High series BEM.
1966 Blue Ford Galaxie - 4Dr Sedan, Pwr Steering, 302 Windsor, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, 650 Holley Race Custom , Crow Cam 15666, Rollmaster Camgear, Heads Ported, MSD 6AL Ignition, MSD Billet Dizzy, Crane Energizer Roller Rockers, C4 - Stage 2 Shift Kit, HiStall 2500rpm, B&M Z-Gate Shifter, XY GT Radiator, 2.92 9" Diff, Dual Thermofans, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, RCI 16gal Fuel Cell.
AusCaRnAgEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 15:52   #4 (permalink)
cArSiK

the car is an XHII S-pack ute , will it have a dimming finction? If so where is it??!??!

cheers
james
Old 04-05-2004, 15:56   #5 (permalink)

i think its the globe, whack the cluster :)
mine did the same thing, u can only see it if there is a direct light on it.
i think the contacts with the globe are average, it happened twice to mine and i hit it, worked right away, been fine since :)
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 16:16   #6 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
it is a globe that has gone. i had this problem once on my AU where the left hand side of the odo went dull. turns out there are 2 globes and one just stopped working. if your game to pull your dash apart you can fix it yourself.
Argh, I have the exact same problem in my AU at the moment except its the right hand globe gone!
I wont be pulling the AU dash apart though, think I'll leave that to someone else to do.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 16:26   #7 (permalink)
Origi-Bulge (tm)

I dont want to sound stupid, but i had the same trouble in my XY for about a week when i first got the car. It ended up that i had just turned the dimmer switch on my dash. I would think that your XF would have the same thing, I'd check that before pulling your dash apart.

Cows would live a lot longer if they weren't made out of steak and leather
Klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 20:23   #8 (permalink)
cArSiK

thanks guys. Do they use the same globes what the early E-series dash's did? Just so i know ive got the correct bulb before i pull it all apart..

thanks
james
Old 04-05-2004, 21:02   #9 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cArSiK
the car is an XHII S-pack ute , will it have a dimming finction? If so where is it??!??!

cheers
james
On the lower edge of the headlight switch there is a 3-position sliding switch that dims the dash lights if (low & normal), and the 3rd position is to turn on the interior dome light.

AusCaRnAgEr (or anyone else), can you simply swap the bcm (to add on additional features) or do other things have to change as well?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 21:16   #10 (permalink)
.au member

RE the BEM change, if i remember rightly it is just basically a swapover, cos I looked into it to put a High Series One into my Futura. Havent done it cos I dont need to now, but check with someone who knows for sure before you go pulling it out.

About the globes, if you're good with a solderig iron you can actually develop some LED's which fit in the globe holders, they use bugger all power and they last forever, so if you go through globes pretty regularly it could be an idea.

I just pulled the globe outta the 'econ' light and used it to replace the odo one. 'econ' looks like you're being a cheapass when you're driving!

And as for AU's, AUII's have an LCD display with no globes I think? Not sure on that one, but I know the displays are different between Series I and II.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU