dash lights for AU - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2002, 19:17   #1 (permalink)

dash lights for AU

i'd like to change the dash lights on my AU to either blue or red. has anyone done it before? i remember there was a thread here about this topic but i couldn't find it.

someone mentioned these little "condoms" that you put over the globe, etc.

i know nothing about the electrical side of things btw, so forget about me soldering anything, or changing diodes, blah blah blah...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2002, 20:49   #2 (permalink)

My brother did this in his landcruiser. I know what you mean by those little "condoms" and i think thats what he used. The problems with that however is its not as bright, and it can be difficult reading the instruments. You can however buy specific globes that are red,blue etc but they cost a crap load of money. Like $60 for 1 LED. Or something like that

Cheers
Matt
Futura97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 21:58   #3 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Go to Dick Smiths and buy the coloured covers and fit them, that's all you need to do. They come in all different colours and sizes so you would be better off taking one of the lamps with you for a sizing.
Old 02-13-2002, 22:01   #4 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

you can also get them from autobarn and the like....
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 22:30   #5 (permalink)

There is a Tech article on the Australian Ford Forum Site on how to add LED's to the EF/EL Dash, although this can be applied to AU's
This is heaps brighter than condoms, LED's Never blow, and use a lot less power.
Anyway here is the link to the Australian Ford Forums site

http://donutking.fordforums.com/australia/fp.html

I have also started Soldering LED's to Bulb holders, and selling them for a few people, (About 4 sets sold so far) as a kit.
Lemme know if you are interested.
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 23:55   #6 (permalink)
Very happy GT-P owner

Mate I tried all this as well, putting condoms on etc, but the problem is the dash is illuminated by white globes strategically placed around the back of the gauges, and the light is actually distributed through a clear plastic diffuser, putting the condoms on the globes makes the dash look great but you cant see anything red, eg, empty or the needles.
What I did cost me about $2 and about 30min of work, take the dash out, take the front cover off until you can get access to the dash facia, the facia is glued on and peels off reasonably easily leaving the clear plastic diffuser, turn the thin plastic facia over and place coloured cellophane on the back removing areas that you want to stay original, eg red bits, tickford logo etc, place the facia back on the diffuser put the dash back together and back in your car turn the lights on and go WOW, it looks great, and leaves the red and needles brightly illuminated. I have a blue display with the correct red bits and needles and a white tickford logo, looks sweet
I dont need to tell you to be extremely careful pulling the dash apart, PM me if you need anymore info, if you are going to be at tickfords look me up and I will show you, its so easy.
www.fpvxrclub.com.au
GTP07S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 05:59   #7 (permalink)

there's one problem with AU dashboards - they're huge mother ****ers! you can't just rip the front cover off - it has to be the whole thing. it's not something i'd like to do.

do you guys know of anyone/any workshops in sydney or surrounding areas who carry out mods like these? i mean, someone who knows what they're doing? i'd rather pay to have this done than fiddle with it myself...
Old 02-14-2002, 22:22   #8 (permalink)
Very happy GT-P owner

Mate, the instrument cluster is a piece of cake to get out, there are 2 little screw covers at the top of the cluster, undo the 2 screws push the bottom of the instrument cluster and the top pops out carefully slide it out disconnect the 3 looms off the back and the instrument cluster is free, take the clear cover of the front by carefully lifting all the tabs and it just drops off, the needles pop off with a gentle prodding from underneath them and then gently remove the front instrument decal from the clear plastic diffuser as I said it took me 30 mins and that included setting up the needles afterwards.
I am still working on the rest of the dash.
www.fpvxrclub.com.au
GTP07S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU