Ford Forums banner

Differences between EF, EL and AU Thermo fans

27K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  V8 Cruiser 
#1 ·
Hi,

Just wondering what the differences are between EF, EL and AU Thermo fans as i'm thinking of buying a set. What price do they usually go for secondhand? If anyone has some i'm interested.

Thanks in advance

#3 ·
I've been told that the AU ones are slightly smaller, but in the physical/fan size, I don't know.

However the only difference between EF - EL, is that one fan spins faster than the other when working. This may be only a computer controlled issue.

I'm open to flaming if incorrect!

#4 ·
rossi said:
However the only difference between EF - EL, is that one fan spins faster than the other when working. This may be only a computer controlled issue.

I'm open to flaming if incorrect!
In one of them, both fans have the same speed and the other has a variable speed... or something like that.

#6 ·
The EL thermo fans are wired in together. The EF have individual plugs for control.
My brother has one of each, and that's what he's noticed.

#7 ·
The EF has one fan which only runs at full speed and the other fan which is a two speed unit (half speed and full speed). There are two connectors on the unit, one with 3 wires and one with 2 wires.
The operation combinations are:-
One fan at half speed
One fan at full speed
Two fans at full speed.
The EL and AU have two fans which only run at full speed. There is one connector with 4 wires on the unit. The switching relays (controlled by the ECU) can connect the fans in series so they both run at half speed.
The operation combinations are:-
Two fans at half speed
One fan at full speed
Two fans at full speed.

The AU fans are offset to provide fan coverage of the whole core which is said to deliver more efficient cooling. The EF and EL fans are mounted in-line and across the middle of the core.
I am uncertain whether the AU fan will mount into an E series or vice versa.

In our ED I used an EL fan, a dual temperature switch, 4 relays and two diodes to mimic the EL type of operation. :-
Low temp switch - two fans at half speed
High Temp switch - one fan at full speed
A/C on - two fans at full speed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.