Door won't close properly after new rubbers? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2004, 02:18   #1 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Door won't close properly after new rubbers?

It's sits out about 1-2". Anyone got any ideas? The lock catched the door and locks but I can still see up inside the car from underneath. Doors were all aligned prior to rubbers so they opened/closed correctly.

The other three doors have no issues. It's got me buggered and I want this car in for a roady ASAP.

Brenden
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2004, 03:33   #2 (permalink)
known as tibbo

Re: Door won't close properly after new rubbers?

is it out at the hinge end or only on the latch side

try gently knocking the hinges in and same for the catch, it is possible that the hinges are not 100% 'true' ... got a pictue of the hinge set-up and the door position?
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 04:53   #3 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCraft
is it out at the hinge end or only on the latch side

try gently knocking the hinges in and same for the catch, it is possible that the hinges are not 100% 'true' ... got a pictue of the hinge set-up and the door position?
It's not out at either. As the door was perfectly aligned till the new rubbers where fitted. I am going to try some sort of lubricant on them to see if they are just catching? I'll post a pic in about 5 mins.

Brenden
Old 08-05-2004, 04:58   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Here's the pic. It's perfectly aligned just won't fully close. If I move the latch inward it won't even catch.

Brenden
Old 08-05-2004, 05:43   #5 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

It went a bit further in with the lower rubber lubricated Still not closing properly though. Roughly 50% better. Tomorrow the neighbours will hear the door slamming quite a bit. I'll be trying to wear the seal. A warm day would have been nice to make the rubber go soft.

Brenden
Old 08-05-2004, 06:07   #6 (permalink)
Hanging Around

brenx, did you use all the same rubbers, and are they hollow?

I had similar problems on mine, and also the drivers door latch was sticky and wouldnt click over to the shut position, no matter show hard you slam the door.

Maybe it could also be in the latch thats the problem, an overnight soak in solvent and then a bit of lanoline spray fixed mine.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:19   #7 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9psi EB
brenx, did you use all the same rubbers, and are they hollow?

I had similar problems on mine, and also the drivers door latch was sticky and wouldnt click over to the shut position, no matter show hard you slam the door.

Maybe it could also be in the latch thats the problem, an overnight soak in solvent and then a bit of lanoline spray fixed mine.
Yeah, the rubbers are hollow. I replaced the upper and lower rubbers. Now I am regretting it though but I didn't want to paint around them.

I'll give it a go. It's just weird that it's just the one door. All the others are fine.

Keep throwing ideas people as Ive been fighting this one since Monday.

cheers,
Brenden
Old 08-05-2004, 07:04   #8 (permalink)
Hanging Around

On the inside of the latch, there is a sprung lever that catches on the detents, there are two detents, one for when the door is fully shut and one is the safety detent.
With mine, the lever was full of old, dried grease, therefore was fairly stiff, and the spring could not return it all the way, so it wasnt quite catching on the last detent.
I was nearly ready to replace the door seal thinking it was the rubbers at fault, because i could slam the door real hard and it would catch, but then it started coming open to the 2nd detent while driving, which prompted me to check the latch.
Not saying it is the problem with yours, but give it a check, might be worth taking the latches off and cleaning them up if they are fairly old, it makes a lot of difference on how easy they operate when they are cleaned up. Use carby cleaner to get all the crap off them and silicon or lanoline spray to lubricate them.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU