Ford Forums banner

Driver side door lock failing

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Matador 
#1 ·
Hey folks,
an interesting one this is.

Many moons ago, I installed a central locking kit into my EA along with a decent car alarm. Since then, the siren has dismantled itself in the engine bay, fallen onto the exhaust manifold and melted away. Ahh the sweet smell and that interesting siren sound.

So the central locking remains but over the past few weeks it's been failing. Tuesday night, I rip the door apart to trace where the fault is and ended up back at the battery terminal where a corroded terminal connection was the fault. Fixed up the connection and voila, perfect.

BUT, I can lock and unlock the doors to my hearts content and all but the driver side door actually locks and unlocks. Yes, the button of the door rises and falls as it locks and unlocks but it's as though the connection between the outside key drum lock mechanism and the connection to the door lock itself, not the central locking assembly, have become disjointed.

A scenario, car doors are locked, I unlock the driver side door and hear the 'click' but the buttons don't pop. Door is now unlocked, I open the door, manually lift the button and all doors unlock. If I do the same from the passenger side door, it unlocks the door itself and pops all other buttons.

Scenario 2. I park the cark, get out, push down the button to lock all the doors, shut the door. The car looks locked. I lift the driver side door handle, door opens. All other doors are locked. I have to manually lock the driver side door.

So, after all this, can anyone tell me what I should be looking for to fix this myself or if a part needs to be replaced of any sorts as I feel this has been deteriorating over time.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

See less See more
#2 ·
I saw something like this on an EF, i dont know if the latching mechanism is the same or not but it could be worth a shot.

there was a tiny bit of plastic which had broken which actually locks the latch. remedy: by new latch from ford and install.

you may want to take it out of the door first to make sure it is that before buying a new one.

hope that helps.

#3 ·
I had the exact same problem on my ea. Just go to the wreckers and get the complete lock assembly ie. what comes out when you unscrew the two bolts that hold the door lock mechanism on, you will need a torx head screw thing that is a star shape to undo these screws.
I paid $5 for it but make sure it works on the car before you take it off.

#5 ·
yeh sorry those three bolts your talkin about you need a torx head to undo them. the easiest thing to do is to just replace that whole part that comes out with the bolts rather then trying to find out what is wrong with it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.