Driving lights for XR's - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2002, 00:48   #1 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Lightbulb Driving lights for XR's

Hi all,

Am I correct in thinking that the AUII XR's have an option of driving lights, or are the apparent spaces for them for some other purpose?

If they ARE for driving lights, anyone got 'em fitted?

Simon....
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2002, 01:28   #2 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

do you mean the recesses either side of the lower bumper? If so, answer is no.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 17:12   #3 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete
do you mean the recesses either side of the lower bumper? If so, answer is no.
Yes, I do mean where you suggested. When you say no, I assume you mean that they're not for driving lights and not that you don't have them? :s5

Simon....
Old 01-18-2002, 00:09   #4 (permalink)

The outer scoops aren't for driving lights. I think they are meant to represent brake cooling ducts. I think that you could fit some lights in there but they would be small and, unless you go for good ones, all but usless. You can fit small rectangle lights in the main lower intake. I think that AP has checked this very carefully on his road bound jet.
Old 01-18-2002, 15:02   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by AUIIXR6

Yes, I do mean where you suggested. When you say no, I assume you mean that they're not for driving lights and not that you don't have them? :s5

Simon....
Correct. Laminge had some fitted to his XR8 (?). However, let me say that driving lights should not be below the centreline of the headlights. Technically anyhow. If lights are that low they should be fog lights with appropriate beam characteristics.

Just a side note, tell me if I am the only one that hates those VX SS fog lights. They have way bad glare even in daylight and I'm damned how they pass ADRs. Plus VX headlights must be piss poor because almost every VX SS I see has these lights on all the time.

'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

Old 01-18-2002, 15:09   #6 (permalink)

What are the technical differences between driving lights and fog lights and when are you allowed to use them?
Aussie Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 15:38   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Falcon
What are the technical differences between driving lights and fog lights and when are you allowed to use them?
Basically Fog lights project a low wide beam below the fog layer, typically up to about 400mm. Driving lights project light beyond the range of the Hibeam headlights. The recommended positions for fog lights is as low and as close to the outside edge of the car as possible, while driving lights should be at least as high as the main lights. Also remember that the lights should be mounted so that there is no vibration. Fog lights are permitted to be used in low visiblity condtions ie:fog, rain and at night. Also note that by law driving with parking lights on but not head lights, typical with foglights, is illegal. My first light setup on the Mazda.
Old 01-18-2002, 22:41   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by FTEfan
My first light setup on the Mazda.
How good are those Unibars? So simple, so good.

Old 01-18-2002, 23:29   #9 (permalink)

Depends on the number plate mounting. On the 121 the unibar was mounted to the number plate mounting nuts which were simply held in the plastic bumper. The Unibar was also braced to the bonnet catch/radiator support by a bar which was pop riveted to the unibar and bolted with a 10mm bolt and nut to the support. Normally this is enough not to cause vibrations. However because I use Cibie Oscar SC, the weight of the light and the fact they have to be mounted as far forward as possible meant that the thin plastic "bumper" flexed badly on rough roads so I had to fit light steadies, hose clamps as nothing else would fit! Still have the lights and unibar on the suby. This time only held on by 10*35mm High tensile bolts with locknuts through the steel box section bumper. They still vibrate as I have no steadies. The next car will get a new Unibar for the lights as this one no longer has the chrome tube hence now illegal.

Here is the hoped for light setup. A bit OTT!
Old 01-20-2002, 18:09   #10 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete

Correct. Laminge had some fitted to his XR8 (?). However, let me say that driving lights should not be below the centreline of the headlights. Technically anyhow. If lights are that low they should be fog lights with appropriate beam characteristics.
Uhuh, okay, my mistake on the terminology. Thanks. Ta, also, for reminding me that what I'm thinking of are, techinically, fog-lights. On that note, kinda useless here :s3

I used to use the FOG lights on the 30X when driving down south at night, it 'filled' the gap nicely between high beam and me. However, the XR's high beam is bloody brilliant and I don't really need anything else, so I'll forget it.

Simon....
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU