Ford Forums banner

Dual battery setup complete! (PICS)

7K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  The Goodz 
#1 ·
Hey all, as the title says, I've finished my dual battery setup. I must say I'm very impressed with the way it's working, the main battery voltage just stays a lot higher now (doesn't drop below 12.5 ever), and the second battery powers the fridge beautifully. I started running the fridge on full blast this morning at 10am, so I'll see how long it is before it cuts out. I've also wired it up in such a way that I can flick a switch and join the two batteries when I want to. Otherwise it's all automatic, the solenoid joins the two batteries if the starter battery has gone above 13.2 volts, and separates them when the main battery has dropped below 12.4 volts. So yeah, I'm a happy camper!

Here's some pics.

^ The Starting Battery

^ The Battery Separator (aka 'Smart Solenoid')

^ The mass of wiring, all this is for the stereo, lights, and dual battery

^ The main battery volt guage

^ The second battery volt guage

^ The second battery lives under that little trap door

^ What it looks like under the trap door

^ The Second Battery

^ The main reason for the dual battery

^ The all important chilled goodz to keep The Goodz refreshed at all times and to keep his meat chilled for the all important BBQ

Alex

See less See more
#3 ·
hahaha!
love the wiring in the engine bay ;)

#6 ·
How much did those voltage gauges set you back(the one under the steering wheel). The reason i ask is my gauge on my spac dash is stuffed and it would be good to have an accurate voltage reading.

cheers jjj

#7 ·
Alex,

Man do I have some bad news for you. I bought a Optima Yellow top thinking the same thing, then I learned that ALL have to vented including sealed batteries. You can receive a defect for this. I'm having to punch a hole through the floor.

#8 ·
jjj, I paid like $30 or something from Super Cheap. The other one is the same deal too.

LTDHO are you serious??? That's bullshit man, is this just some more bullshit Vicroads rules or do they actually vent gas? Must do something about this...

Alex

#10 ·
Optima batteries YT still vent gas - they have release valves for use only if they get overcharged (dodgy alternator regulator, for instance). I think yours would be the same alex, if they get overcharged theyd explode otherwise. I dont know how any of this affects rego though! I thought if you used one of those external battery case things that itd all be legit.

Jase

#22 ·
Steven, I can't really mount it anywhere else as I'm going to be putting in a third battery later on aswell, so that takes away both sides of the boot.

XRated, no the fridge isn't permanent, it can be removed at any time, it's hooked up to a cigarette lighter socket I've mounted under the parcel shelf.

I'm thinking I'll make a vent to somewhere under the brake light and then under the bumper, I think this will be the best way. It's no use if the gas is just going to exit into the boot and therefore the cabin.

Alex

#24 ·
3 batteries.... WOW.

I'm running a heater hose to the wheel arch. Let it vent to there and put a small filter in there to stop water getting in. Don't know if it works, it's an idea so far...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.