ea alternator and ed alternator and other questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2004, 06:00   #1 (permalink)

ea alternator and ed alternator and other questions

Hi Guys I'm new to the forums, iv been looking all over the net for info on the amparage of an ea alternator

I have a

1988 EA S-pack 5 speed manual
3.9 CPI (I Know, my parents brought me the car)

I want to know the amarage of the alternator, cause I have a MP3 head unit that pumps out a max of 54w rms per speakers, 60w 6inch in the back, i think they are factory speakers. In the boot, I have 2 12" Kicker Comp Subs 150w rms each, and a 560w 4 channel amp, now im running 140w into each speaker.

Now my problem is, while im driving with my lights on and my music up, say around 25 out of a max 32 on the head unit, my lights actually dim to the beat of the bass, and when the high beams are on its even worse, and well when the heater is on, gets worser, and well when the top 3 are on and the rear dimister well you can only imange, they dim a heap acutally unless im doing over 130km/h, which i cant often do... so at night when its cold i cant have it up loud. or my voltage meter sits around 13v insted of its general 15, the only other things i have running is a few neons!!! (Dont pick on me there cool sorry)

So yeah what is the amperage of the ea alternator or is my alternator stuffed. And my guess and my "holden" mechinic friend says that its just not strong enough, So i have to get a bigger one, around 70-80amp, so what type of one is on an ED, or EL or one that will fit it?

Ok another question, I was reading on other websites, did every 88 EA S-pack come standard with Aircon, cause mine dont have it, and I know they stuff up and cant really be fixed, but someone has gone to alot of trouble to take it out if it stuffed up, cause the climiate setting thingy dosnt have the aircon button, the holes in the firewall must of been convered up, electronics taken out, and the pump removed, so makes me think on the early 88 spacks it was optional?

Another question, I have a bit of money and my eas only done 170,000km, and had a full service history until 150,000km when I got it, it had 2 owners before me, the person I got it off was a business man, and it was in a accident and the rear quarter panel and back door was dinted, it is now fixed but the guy rode it off and my dad and our mechinic friend brought it at fowlers auctions, dunno how much for all i know it was a christmas present. but it has a new head just done on it 160,000km, its on gas, and runs great, do the New BA XR6 rims fit on the EA? if not but answer also, is it the EB or ED that had the Star Mags so like the new XR mags just there flat?

Also can you fit aftermarket central locking to it?

did the S pack have diffrent suspension cause mines been lowered when i got it? or where the S's lower?

If anyone can answer these questions it will be good
Thanks in advance
blueshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2004, 01:37   #2 (permalink)
chris

Re: ea alternator and ed alternator and other questions

you can fita 85 amp bosch one to it, or if thats not big enough try a 110amp out of a ef or el.
cjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 16:23   #3 (permalink)
wants a manual!

air con was optional on EA spacs. being a series one EA you can only use an 85 amp altenator out of a ghia or fairlane which is also a series one. they ran a v belt pully. EA2-ED ran a ribbed belt pully.
John_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 17:59   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

It might be possible that a EA1 pulley will fit onto an EA2-ED alternator.

It might also be possible that EF/EL internals fit into the EA-ED alternator housing. They don't bolt up, that's for sure.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 20:36   #5 (permalink)

Leave it alone - how cool is it to have your lights modulating with the music - ricers would pay a fortune for that :-)
Softride Powerwing
roofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 22:03   #6 (permalink)
chris

if you use the 110 amp alternater use the whole thing it can be done the distance between inside leg is only a flies foreskin and you can get the plug that suits the mitsu reg to adapt to the bosch one
Old 08-04-2004, 01:01   #7 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

110 amp alternators i thought could not be driven by the simple v-belt setup, and you need the ribbed pulley, which is then basically getting to serpantine conversion stage, stick with an 85amp the v-belt drives that with no major problems.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 03:05   #8 (permalink)
chris

easy enough to just change your pulley , just space it out.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:04   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all the Info... as for roofi, yes it is great seeing my lights modulating to the music, but it is also not good if you get pulled over for it.

So what is the size of the factory altenator on in a EA1 spac?

I found out that my car has been lowered as well which is nice :)
blueshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:59   #10 (permalink)
wants a manual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshadow
Thanks for all the Info... as for roofi, yes it is great seeing my lights modulating to the music, but it is also not good if you get pulled over for it.

So what is the size of the factory altenator on in a EA1 spac?

I found out that my car has been lowered as well which is nice :)
factory EA altenators for GL/spac/fairmont is 70 amp. Ghia/Fairlane/LTD 85 amp.
John_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU