EA Ghia Power Window Repair - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2003, 16:20   #1 (permalink)

biggrin EA Ghia Power Window Repair

G'day
I thought this information would be of interest to anyone out there having problems with their power windows.
I looked at the information supplied about installing a manual window assembly unfortunately this would not fit or work ($53).
The local Ford dealer said that I had to buy the whole unit motor and all as there were no spare parts for the winder assembly. Wrong wrong wrong.
After dismantling the window winder assembly and motor I found that the nylon reel that pulled the window winder wire was worn out. I rang Coventry Auto Spares and was told that new reels were avaiable at a cost of $12 each.
Needless to say I fitted two new reels to my back doors and the power windows are working excelently once more.
The same amount of time is involved in the removal and reinstalling of a new unit. The only difference being that you have to drill the rivets out that are holding the reel assembly to the unit insert the new reel and reattache it with a pop riveter.
Sure beats paying anywhere from $240 to $140 for a new unit.
John Gallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2003, 12:51   #2 (permalink)

Thanks John, a good tip, saves money as well.
So you can have a few
Old 01-25-2003, 17:58   #3 (permalink)

G'day TopGhia
I know this will save owners a lot of $$$$ by not having to purchase the whole unit motor and all when all that is required is a $12 reel that fixes the problem. For any others reading this beware of the Ford Spare Parts dealer who says there are no parts as the part supplied to me was a genuine Ford Part.
Regards
John
Old 01-27-2003, 21:33   #4 (permalink)

The reason I had to replace my motors was the grooved shaft on the actual motor that fits into the plastic wire holder, was striped of the grooves. Is there any cure for that? Although it's too late for me, i'm sure others would have this trouble too!
Also, does anyone know where you can get new window seals for the EA from other than ford? They said it would be about $60 per door cause they are moulded! I was wondering if repco or somewhere else had some similar for a lot less cost....
Old 01-30-2003, 14:52   #5 (permalink)

Hi
I don't think so but it does seem strange that the metal spline on the motor would strip instead of the nylon reel. So I cannot help you with that one.
Regards
John
Old 01-30-2003, 15:12   #6 (permalink)

The Metal spline went into a metal fitting on the reel. Somehow, this spline and fitting had stripped on 3 of my doors! I just replaced all four (about $700! from ford) But I still need to replace my window seals cause i think that is what put all the strain on the motors....
Old 01-31-2003, 22:27   #7 (permalink)

Hi
The reels that hold the window wires on my EA are nylon and that was the only part that wore out. I do not know if you have a Coventry Auto Spares in Vic but if you do I would check the prices from them as they sell genuine Ford spares for a hell of a lot less than you will pay a Ford Dealer.
Regards
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU