Ford Forums banner

EA Steering Wheel Replacment

3K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Dean 
#1 ·
There's been a lot of talk about steering wheel replacments and i need some help with mine.

I'm always working on the interior of my EA and i felt that it needed a sports wheel. So i headed out to Autobarn and bought one of those Mad Max Style ones, you know the three chrome spokers - i think they're one of the cheapest styles too.

Anywho, they fitted me with a bos kit and set it up but there seems to be a prob with the EA's and their boskits. Left indicator would cut off, but the right one wouldn't. I realised what the prob was because i read up about it around here - and it should've been easily fixed. So i took it in the next day and they worked on it for like 4 hours trying to get it right!, in the end, they stuffed up both indicators and i had to settle for removing the bos kit and the new wheel and put the old one back on.

Has anyone been succesful with installing a sports wheel on an EA Falcon without any problems? And what kind of Boskit did u use?

Cheers

#3 ·
Saas eh? Cool, sounded like it worked pretty good for you.
Was that Saas boskit expensive?
The guys at the store made me buy some dodgey sounding kit, i can't remember the name though - sounded like a fake italian name... name ended with "elli" or something, it was the only brand they had at a reasonable price (about $70). They told me their other boskits would cost me way over $250 and that they might not even have worked for me at all. They kept on saying that EA's can't handle Sports Wheels well. Hmmm, It sounds like the guys at the shop didn't have a clue about what they were doing - or couldn't be bothered doing a proper job for me.

#4 ·
yeah i think my boss kits is a saas as well it works fine with my woodgrain wheel

G
#6 ·
autobarn employees who dont have a clue what they are on about??? Nooooo!!!! (sarcasm)

one bloke at my local autobarn tried to tell me that Clarion are usually pretty acurate with their head unit power ratings (in other words he tried to tell me that the 4x50 watt rating on the box was the real RMS rating, when it is actually the PMPO rating. The real RMS rating is 4x17 watt). I decided to go down the road to a local car audio business where i got fantastic sales service and after sales service, a huge deal and since then i have been back 3 more times. You can beat personalised attention from staff who know their stuff. As the guy at this store said (about Autobarn) "they sell fluffy dice and all of a sudden they think they know everything about car audio" LMAO

#8 ·
falconS said:
As the guy at this store said (about Autobarn) "they sell fluffy dice and all of a sudden they think they know everything about car audio" LMAO
Ha ha ha, that damn Autobarn. True though.

About that audio shop in Darling Downs, a bit out of my reach but can't hurt to mention who they are for everyone else though eh? Please don't tell me it's a Strathfield....

G
#9 ·
Strathfield/Brisbane Car Sound??? they are just as bad as Autobarn, i only get stuff from there that is cheap and doesnt matter (like replacement mobile phone batteries)

Place i go to is called Rod Meagher Radio (pronounced Rod Marr) on James St, Toowoomba. They do great work and will cut some competitive deals, though they will freely admit that they cant match autobarn sometimes, due to them being a small business and autobarn being a national chain. Hows this for a deal, when i got my first head unit a about a year ago, i was only after a cheapish unit (around $400 to $500) A guy there called Kevin does the sales and the installations (so you know he knows what he's talking about), he gave me a Clarion head unit that hadn't been released yet (Rod Meagher is the preferred Clarion dealer in Twmba, so they get new stock about 6 months before the big chains) for $100 less than the RRP !!!!!, he also knocked $40 of a set of new model Clarion 6x9's 3 ways and $15 off a pair of new model Clarion 4" 2 ways.

I only bought around $650 worth of stuff and he only charged me about $500. Imagine the deal he would cut you if you bought around $2000 worth?!?!?!

(installation wasnt included in that price but i do all that myself anyway)

I have already told him that i'll be back when i finish uni to let him go nuts with my new car.

I could not recommend them any higher.

#11 ·
That looks Cool!, it seems to look just like the way my one did when it was in too. And u say that it's workin without trouble?... hmmm, it's gotta be the bos kit, it has to be - i can't think of anything else.

Was it a tight fit? Mine was so tight that it was like i didn't have power steering at all, and it was making a squeek noise badly.

#12 ·
I put an AutotenicA sports wheel n used the AutotenicA boskit n it works fine... The first time I put it on the indicators wouldn't cut off, so I took it off again and I notice a small white plastic C thingy wasn't in place. When I put it in right it all works sweet now.....

#16 ·
Dean said:
this time i'll do it myself though. What tools would i need?
errrr, on second thoughts now that i've got it open and looking at it.... I'm not sure if i'm doing it right... Does anyone have a link that shows how to install it correctly, with like pictures and stuff? Or if someone is really good at explaining things in words that would be cool too?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.