Ford Forums banner

EB/D Rear lights and garnish conversion for EA

5K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  AUII_Forte 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I just finished converting my EA S rear garnish to ED Fairmont Ghia / ABS rear garnish and matching ED lights. Its quite a struggle, nothing is the same, but is well worth it in the end. Just posting this in case anyone is interested in doing the same, im open for questions.

#3 ·
The main thing is the back of boot that needs altering, and a few wiring changes, theres no trirled connections, you can snip the plugs from a wrecked car, and the little terminals pop outta the EA harness and click into the EB/D plug, and one wire for the reverse lamps. Even thought the EA tailights have three achor bolts on them apposed to the EB/D having four, the third bolt on the EA taillights always cracks/breaks, EB/D taillights when installed, hold much better. Actually i did buy the whole boot, but i just used it for the measurments of the holes and stuff. But it looks really smick!

#4 ·
how big did you need the holes to be do you have a pic of the bare ed boot lid?

#6 ·
im doing this mod in less than 1 month and i need all the info A.S.A.P ive already got a ed futura classic garnish and taillights ordered
so if anyone else out there has any thing they can tell me bout this mod then please do so
tom

#7 ·
another quick question
last time i was changing my garnish to paint is i kinda snapped my badge a little and now has an annoying air bubble in the middle so if any one is selling a eb falcon s badge tell me or if no one has one ill just leave the futura on on it

#8 ·
My friend is selling an eb fairmont garnish and taillights for $300. I think any reasonable offer will be accepted though. I think that the stuff is all brand new as well.

And a question... was the ED boot different than the ea with some lip or something?

#9 ·
I did this conversion to my EA Ghia. I think you'll find its a lot easier to alter the back of the garnish than it is to modify the boot! All that had to be done with mine was the part where the reverse lights mount had to be cut down and the lights mounted some other way. It's a lot easier to cut the plastic than the metal of the boot and that way if you ever want or need to go back to the EA garnish you don't have 2 big holes for no reason. Appart from that it's a piece of piss, I did it at night with hardly any light. I've attached a befre and after shot of my EA. Disregard how crappy the car looks and just concentrate on the mods! Lol!!

#11 ·
I was lucky, I called a wrecker and priced a set of tail lights of an EB, the wrecker quoted "Oh yeah, I've got a set here......say 30 bucks". I was in the car quick smart only to find out that he thought I said VB, but he was still nice enough to give em to me for $30!! The garnish I got for $110 from another place. The first wrecker said 10 bucks for the garnish, but didn't have one......obviously still thinking I said VB!! Lol.

#12 ·
Nope NZ, it can be done, whoever told you that was wrong.

#14 ·
EAII FAIRMONT: what exactly did you do with the lights just install them sideways or push them more into the hole because i 2 am not to found of drilling into my car but if it has to be done then i will do it

#15 ·
just another question: has the futura got to many diferences from the eb-ed falcon/ falcon s range
eg: powerwindows / mirrors etc?

#18 ·
pazza: the eb- ed lights would not match up to the garnish because the ea lights have a step on the top that continues throught the garnish where as the eb lights are just rounded
whit the garnish it needs holes drilled so the reverse lights can fit in
- whit the ea it has all its lights on one main light but on the eb it has 2 lights on the main one (brake- blinker) and then reverse lights on either side of the number plate -
hopefully that helped a bit

tranquilised: i want to play around with the back of the car to be different im gonna mod up the front to make it look like an ef or el so i want to change the back to make it look a little more modern!

#20 ·
I just ran the wiring through existing holes in the boot and just kind sat the bulbs in the right spot. If you can, when you get them in the right spot secure them there somehow. I found out the hard way, but if the lights are on for a while and too close to the clear plastic it will melt it and make it go cloudy.

G
#21 · (Edited)
Hey EAII_Fairmont, I wanna do something similar to my EA as I can't see shit when I'm reversing out of the driveway at night. I'll be leaving the EA side indicator reverse lights on tho, cos the more the merrier is my motto.

Just how much plastic did you have to cut away, and why doesn't the garnish fit on the EA boot, is that because there are holes in the EB boots where the reverse lights are?

Oh yeah and how did you get your reverse lights to go cloudy with your mod if they are normally only on for a little while? You weren't doing reverse doughies in the carpark were you? :p

#22 ·
You basically have to cut away the part that holds the reverse lights. You are correct in saying that there are holes in the EB boot, otherwise the whole garnish would have to come off to change a reverse bulb.

Mine went cloudy cos the inhibitor switch on my auto was wired incorrectly when i put it in, so when in drive the reverse lights were on and because they were touching the plastic, it melted in a small section.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.