EB2 dash + loom into EA? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2004, 18:34   #1 (permalink)
Vroom vroom

EB2 dash + loom into EA?

Hello all.
As some of you may know, my heater core packed it in, so I need a new one.
I am therefore gonna replace the whole heater box and install climate control.
However, I figured while I'm doing that, I may as well replace the whole dash (mines blue + cracked)
I was gonna try and track one down out of an EB2 Fairmont, as I know that they had trip computer + climate control available.
However, I have a couple of questions.
First, will my 3.9 engine work with a 4.0 litre ecu? In terms of compression ratios and the like? I ask because I'd prefer to find a dash that did have smartlock in it, and to make it work properly i'd need the new ecu.
Would the tranny work properly? Was there any significant change eb-eb2 apart from integrating the tranny control into the ecu?
Second, what additional relays would I require? I know the EA Ghias had the a/c relay in the engine bay and additional "accessories" relay in under the dash. Could I just add another relay? Or am I better off trying to get the engine bay loom as well?
Thirdly, are there any other problems anyone could think off? Would I perhaps be better off trying to find a pre-smartlock dash, say out of an NC or an EA Ghia?
Any help is appreciated.
NC Ghia interior (except rear trims)
Fairmont audio (with 4 speakers)
Cruise control
S-pac cluster with white dials
Trip computer and Fairmont interior lighting.
Half wired Ghia BCM.
spope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2004, 19:09   #2 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Re: EB2 dash + loom into EA?

Quote:
First, will my 3.9 engine work with a 4.0 litre ecu? In terms of compression ratios and the like? I ask because I'd prefer to find a dash that did have smartlock in it, and to make it work properly i'd need the new ecu.
Yes your car will run fine with the 4l ecu. Remember to run smartlock you'll need to change the ignition barrel and add tibbe locks if your car doesnt have them. A Depending what modl car you got the dash from would depend what the dash loom would be wired up for cluster wise.

Quote:
Would the tranny work properly? Was there any significant change eb-eb2 apart from integrating the tranny control into the ecu?
Unsure.

Quote:
Second, what additional relays would I require? I know the EA Ghias had the a/c relay in the engine bay and additional "accessories" relay in under the dash. Could I just add another relay? Or am I better off trying to get the engine bay loom as well?
One change they had was the ECU controlled the A/C clutch so there was a a WAC relay hidden there somewhere.

Quote:
Thirdly, are there any other problems anyone could think off? Would I perhaps be better off trying to find a pre-smartlock dash, say out of an NC or an EA Ghia?
You'll probably run into many problems. Don't ask me what but it always the way it is!

If it were me and I wanted to add in climate control and a trip computer I'd leave the original wiring and overlay the climate control wiring. Look in your manual and compare the 2. I'd also not worry about smartlock either its a bit of hassle and its another thing to go wring I reckon.

I will be adding smartlock to my car shortly. I have an NC dash loom so I will be basically pulling the loom to bits and taking what I need. I won't be changing my cluster but will be just adding the smartlock light in.
Old 10-02-2004, 20:09   #3 (permalink)
Vroom vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ
If it were me and I wanted to add in climate control and a trip computer I'd leave the original wiring and overlay the climate control wiring.
Ahh, there's the rub. What with cruise control, power mirrors, power antenna, trip computer, s-pac dash, ghia bcm and the like, the wiring under my dash is a complete mess. Just ask Sunny!
Half the motivation of doing this would be to neaten all the wiring up completely.
Ideally, I'd like to buy something like this:
http://www.fowles.com.au/auctions/lo...Number=1625647
and strip it of everything that I need. But I need space before that.
It may be a two stage process, first dash replacement and then ultimately a complete re-wire.
NC Ghia interior (except rear trims)
Fairmont audio (with 4 speakers)
Cruise control
S-pac cluster with white dials
Trip computer and Fairmont interior lighting.
Half wired Ghia BCM.
spope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 03:14   #4 (permalink)

just make sure the eas not cpfi or your going to have alot of problems
charlie-ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU