Ford Forums banner

EBII - Odometer/tripmeter works intermitantly

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  locash 
#1 ·
As above, my odometer (and trip meter) are only working intermitantly. There doesn't seem to be any particular pattern to when they work and when they don't.

It's important for me to get them working, as the car is on straight gas and the gas meter is useless so I need to know how many k's I've done to know when to fill up.

Has anyone had a similar problem/ideas to fix? Replacing the whole instrument cluster would be a needlessly expensive excersise.

The instrument cluster is the one with the tacho and the speedo and 4 or so other dials. It's from a GLi model EBII.

#2 ·
Same thing happened to our EA. It came good eventually but alas you're going to have to fix it. Buy a new cluster at the wreckers for not much cash at all. The GLi clusters are cheap. keep the old one for spares.

#4 ·
$200 is fkn ridiculous for a GLi *OR* an S-pack, OR a fairmont dash... i picked up an EA Fairmont/S dash (tacho/oil/volts/batters/speed) for $53... which was cheap, apparently, but i think it sounds about right

wreckers give me the shits sometimes - always nice to watch them scratch their ape-like foreheads and pluck a figure out of thin air "bald 13 inch retread on a plain rim? oh mate... don;t get them in often... $800..."

if an EA GL speedo head (you might be able to swap it in to the EB cluster, giving you a working odometer/trip meter) is any use, message me and i'll post you my spare one - it's got 97 000k's on it too, so chances are it'll up your resale value

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.