Ed 1993 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2004, 03:26   #1 (permalink)

Ed 1993

Have a 93 ED Fairmont
During hot weather such as the last few days the car won't start. The starter motor won't even turn over. All the dash lights come on etc. when I turn the key. If I leave the car to "cool" down a bit, it will then start. Any suggestions?
tryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2004, 04:32   #2 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

Re: Ed 1993

The brushes in the starter motor when old can "jam" with the heat and stop the motor from working. Does the starter motor even try to engage? You may have to get the starter looked at and possibly rebuilt.

Hope this Helps

Extreme

5/1994 ED Futura Classic 5.0 in Polyneisan Green - One of the last ever built
Extreme_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 02:11   #3 (permalink)

mad Re: Ed 1993

The starter motor doesn't even try to turn over. I had one suggestion it could be the "inhibitor switch" which I assume stops you starting the motor while the transmission is in reverse or drive. I tried starting the car tonight while it was cool with the transmission in drive and got the same noises, then when in Park it would not start. After moving the transmission lever a few times and trying to start it did. Where do I find the inhibitor switch?
tryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 02:25   #4 (permalink)
Sandwich Connoisseur

My old man had a similar problem on an XE. He put on a beefier earth cable and never had the poblem again, but then again an ed could be a different story.

Donno

I6, 5sp Factory Manual , Wade 1636, Pacemaker PH4480s, HF Cat, Cat-Back 2 1/2" Mandrel Bent Lukey Zorst, Car-puter, XR Front and AUII Clear Side Indicators.

Dull Alloy factory mags, ooo yeah.

Proud TQE Operator
donno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 13:07   #5 (permalink)

I had a similar problem with my XE also. I proved it by connecting the the starter motor directly to the battery via a 'jumper' lead. I think it happens when the engine is hot because the compression increases with the heat, and therefore requires more current to turn.
arfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 14:40   #6 (permalink)

hi all,

1. u could try when it wont start ( without wigiling the gear stick ) see if jump starting makes any difference.

2. put the gear lever in d ( foor on the brake ) hold the key to start & move the gear lever through n to r if the starter dose not engage when rocking in n u should confern that u r getting 12v at the starter solinoid .if there is no v here then u check ur cut out switch.

hope that helps :)
oze50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 17:19   #7 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

The bearings in the starter when worn can cause the rotor to sometimes get pulled slightly off centre and jammed. Usually you'll hear a quite buzzing noise when this happens and sometimes you can short the rotor on the stator depending on how bad it is. If the rotor is getting mechanically jammed try getting someone to turn the key and when it's playing up, bash on the starter with a spanner to try to free the rotor. Don't go to town on it, just try to see if you can get it to spin by tapping / bashing it.
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU