Ford Forums banner

ED fairmont imobilizer

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  BOON250 
#1 ·
Dad went to get into his car this morning and the doors would not open with the keypad.
He has put new batteries in the keypad but it still will not work.
He can get into the car with the key but the car will not start as the imobilizer is still on.
Does anybody have an answer?

#2 ·
Sorry guys it is an EB fairmont

We have done the following, new battery in key pad. Red light on key pad works, but it will not unlock doors. Did the relearn process for the key pad but it did not make a difference.

When you open a door with the indicator lights flash for about 1 minute the stop.

We have done the relearn process for the key, but this also did not work. The LED in the dash is flashing at a high speed all the time no matter what is done.

Battery terminals have been cleaned and checked.

The car cranks but will not start !!

This is my Dads car and I am talking to him over the phone, he is in rural South Australia.
No Ford dealer advailable usless there is a 50k tow to next town, so any help would be great.

#3 ·
Hi

tell him to locate the immobilzer and central locking relay, and hold the remote next to it and press the button. If that dosent work, check the wiring from the immobiliser and central locking relay. This will take time, but seems like something might have come loose.

If this fails, he will need to find where the points have been patched e.g ingition, fuel pump (depending on how many points the immobilzer uses), and wire them back up by passing the immobilzer.

This is not an easy job, mabe need a auto lec.

#5 ·
if its got smartlock try leaving the ignition on for 30 minutes but dont crank the engine after 30 mins try cranking again

#7 ·
1LOWEA said:
could be that, not very smart is the smartlock eh ? what does the smart lock disable? isnt smart lock just a immobiliser?
smartlock cuts the ign and fuel pump. The top left hand fuse in the fuse box is 10amp and on my car if you unplug this the smartlock light stops flashing. perhaps if you leave this out for a while it might reset it?

#9 ·
1LOWEA said:
how can it reset it? that would defeat the purpose of it being a secruity feature. What about replacing the smartlock iteself, mabe its broked.
smartlock is part of the ECU etc its a bit difficult to just "replace" it. I did not mean reset as in disable thats probably the wrong choice of word...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.