EF ashtray - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2004, 05:29   #1 (permalink)
400 kg ego

EF ashtray

G'day all,

Just wanted to clear up something regarding EF/EL ashtrays. I sold my EL ashtray on ebay, though by the time I sold it I'd confirmed that the colour of mine is different compared to the normal grey interiors. So I went to the wrecker and sourced another similar EL ashtray to experment on, and a grey EF one. With some stuffing around I fitted the grey front from the EF 'tray onto the EL one, and posted it off.

Anyway, I'm currently selling the left-over bits in the form of a 3rd ashtray - an EF ashtray with browny-grey front - on Ebay. But now someone has contacted me saying that the EF ashtray is different and has the cigarette lighter hidden.

Can someone please confirm that the EF/EL ashtrays are interchangable? The only difference I have noticed is that the EF one (assuming that's what this thing is) opens with brutal force, while the EL one has a nice soft-opening action that wouldn't be out of place on a new Volkswagen.

Cheers
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2004, 05:34   #2 (permalink)
known as tibbo

Re: EF ashtray

i know the ones he means, the full length ones on a EF Futura is the last time i saw one.. but to answer your question the standard falcs EF/EL are interchangeable
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 08:13   #3 (permalink)
.au member

The 'full face' ones are from EF Series I. Series I ashtrays covered the cigarette lighter itself, and were very susceptible to breaking, thus they were changed in Series II to the more common type (what you had, i saw it on EBay).
And yes, EF and EL ashtrays are interchangable.
Old 05-11-2004, 17:30   #4 (permalink)
EFXR62

The EF and EL ashtrays are interchangable, yes, but to convert to a EL ash tray from an EF one, you will need a balbearing type bolt to fit into the right hand side screw bit, as the right hand side of the EL ashtray doesn't have a screw thing, it's a clip, and it clips into the ballbearing.

I recently performed this 'mod' to XR6Child's EF Futura, after we found a nice clean EL ashtray at Jolly rogers. He spent $17, and i spent $95 on one from ford, because my full face one broke, as back2thefutura stated.

The EL ashtray has a nice smooth openning tray, as well as the lighter on the outside. It's a nicer ashtray/front face piece altogether.. Only thing i don't like about it, is that my old EF ashtray has a nice felt bit in the compartment, while the EL one i got musta been out of a base model, and is just hard ugly plastic. But i can live with that :)

Cheers,
Yaggy
Old 05-11-2004, 17:32   #5 (permalink)

EF II and EL are exactly the same, interchangable without the stereo surround.
EF I is the full face one that goes over the cig lighter and requires the full stereo surround to be interchangeable.

Some early EF II's got the EF I style ash trays (like mine and the wreck)

XR6child changed his @ JR's after complaining about the EFI style one with the help of yagz (had to give u credit )
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 17:40   #6 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Cheers guys, I'm getting a clearer picture now. But one thing I don't understand is, how can the EF and EL ashtrays be interchangable if the EF had the full-width item? I'm guessing you'd have to change the radio surround as well...

Edit: Whoops just read John's post properly. OK all cleared up, cheers!
Old 05-11-2004, 18:04   #7 (permalink)
EFXR62

By ashtrays, i meant the whole surround. Sorry.. The EF/EL ashtrays as such are not interchangable, but the whole surround is..
Old 05-11-2004, 18:07   #8 (permalink)
400 kg ego

OK so I'm guessing what I have here is an EF series II ashtray. Seems simple enough.

Cheers!
Old 05-12-2004, 00:10   #9 (permalink)
Packed up and gone.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFXR6_Yagz
I recently performed this 'mod' to XR6Child's EF Futura, after we found a nice clean EL ashtray at Jolly rogers. He spent $17, and i spent $95 on one from ford, because my full face one broke, as back2thefutura stated.
True this, which i am still thankful for, However yes what Yagz says about the ugly plastic is right. I had a nice felt peice in the compartment too, now theres this bit of ugly plastic and its slippery so everything falls out when you accelerate now.......

Ahh wells, it looks nicer and newer anyways.

Cheers
-The Child

You know who I am...
-Dan
XR6child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 00:41   #10 (permalink)
400 kg ego

My Futura had the felt in the radio surround. Must be something the GLi missed out on.

PS the ashtray in question is going for $1 on ebay, check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU