EF Brake Lights - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2004, 23:47   #1 (permalink)
Who said white is Poxy???

EF Brake Lights

Gday All,

My EF's rear right Brake light keeps blowing . It will last a few hours then blows, mostly less than that. It has to be something short circuiting the bulb, but I havent a clue what it is, has anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it? The thing though is it is only shorting the brake, not the parkers! Well that is until the whole thing just blows and goes white.

Any help would me much appreciated!

Cheers

Effles
EFFIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2004, 23:49   #2 (permalink)
known as tibbo

Re: EF Brake Lights

check the ceramic/plastic bulb holder for cracks
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 23:58   #3 (permalink)

Gday again,

So you think that if its broken thats the problem? We (my BF and me) checked it and theres no cracks or anything, its in good nick, can it be the circuitry?

Cheers

Effles

NB I cant spell
Old 07-22-2004, 00:08   #4 (permalink)
known as tibbo

it would be unusual for a wiring problem to be isolated into only one brake bulb.. I'd pull the loom tru the bung, unplug it inside the boot and inspect the connections, wires and contacts

As it is only one side and only the brake filament on that side try swapping the looms over from Left to right and vise versa. If it then blows the bulb on the other side you know that it is the tail light loom that is crook
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 04:45   #5 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

had the same problem, caused by a cheap faulty brake light switch, replaced with an ( over-priced ) genuine ford part and all is good

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 14:16   #6 (permalink)

Hi Guys,

Ok, I hate to admitt this but im blonde, so you know what that means! I got my first post diagnostics wrong, sorry guys.

Whats acutally happening is that the bulb itself works, what happens is that in normal driving conditions the brake lights are fine, no worries. Then when you use the lights, or parkers, and you hit the brake, the park light turns off, but the brake light dosnt come on either, hence the whole thing goes black.

So there ya go, does anyone know what could be doing this? Or is my car just goofy?

Cheers

Effie
Old 07-25-2004, 23:14   #7 (permalink)

Hi Guys,

I am guessing no-one knows what the answer to the problem is?

Thanks for everyone's help anyway!

Cheers

Effles
Old 08-11-2004, 04:15   #8 (permalink)

Hey Effie, had a similar prob with my old 87 Fairlaine, turned out to be rust in on the bulb, running between the two bottom contacts..shorting out the lights and the brake light..so, check the bulb, and the holder, clean out any garbage you find..

Craig S.
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 07:38   #9 (permalink)
no tire smoke no fun!

it's your relay switch

There is a war inside my head, if I take a day off I'll die!

This cat, is cat, a cat, good cat, way cat, to cat, keep cat, a cat, idiot cat, busy cat, for cat, 20 cat, seconds cat! Now read it all without the word cat!
zbenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU