EF Cluster Info req. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2004, 01:08   #1 (permalink)
.au member

EF Cluster Info req.

Has anyone ever linked up a set of driving/fog lights with the extra light warning on the cluster? (talking low series i..e GLi, Futura cluster btw).

In case you dont know what I'm talking about, there is an extra logo in the cluster, which is at the very top of the middle part. It is a green emblem similar to the highbeam one, and it is used to remind you if you have lights other than the headlights still turned on.

I had the cluster out today to change the odo display to blue, and thats when I found it. It doesnt have a bulb in it, but that will be fixed tomorrow (all I gotta do is just get a bulb from Ford and screw it in), but in order to actually make it light up when the driving lights are on, I need to know which of the pins on the 2 plugs that plug into the cluster controls this light?

Does anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2004, 02:05   #2 (permalink)
.au member

Re: EF Cluster Info req.

Just to add to this, is it possible to stop the odometer from dimming itself when the headlights are turned on? Now that it's blue it's hard to read at the best of times, so I don't want it to keep going dimmer on me.
Old 03-21-2004, 13:11   #3 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

I'll see what I can dig up from the workshop manual this arvo :)

Did you get the driving lights in and working then ?
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 19:00   #4 (permalink)
.au member

Lamah,

thanks a whole lot for your help with all this!

The lights are mounted and ready to go, the wires are in the dash and the switch is too, but as yet I havent completed it because when we pulled the dash apart we found this extra light, so I thought I'd wait and see how hard it is to incorporate it into the wiring. As far as I can tell, if I want it to light up when the lights are on, I just need to run a wire from the new globe holder (that will go behind the green light in the dash) to the switch.

I know thats probably not the best explanation, but its the best I can do!
Old 03-22-2004, 17:59   #5 (permalink)
.au member

Any luck with it yet Lamah?

Need a few more bits of info too now (and its only going to get worse!):

* Can the instrument cluster circuitry handle a 12v direct feed from my driving lights?
* How do you make the LEDs to fit in the bulb holders? I know fordmods has the info but the site never works for me. If someone can copy + paste the info from it, that'd be great.
Old 03-23-2004, 17:26   #6 (permalink)

Oh crap . . . totally forgot :(
I'll try to remember *this* arvo.

The LED's are simple and tricky at the same time. Basically you need the bulb holder, whip out the bulb, and then solder in a LED, which is in series with a resistor. I've attached a super crap picture of roughly what it would look like (square box is bulb holder). Its a simple arrangement, but can be very tricky to actually organise and fit it all in (I was swearing and cursing for a while - its kinda fiddly).

You will want to be *very* careful with running power from the lights to the instrument cluster - with the high rated fuses they'll have, they could push a fair amount of power through the cluster before any fuses blow. Also, LED's use/need SFA in the way of current. I'd really avoid anything direct between lights and cluster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lud.jpg (5.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-23-2004, 22:12   #7 (permalink)
.au member

Thanks again Lamah, youre proving to be a great help!

I thought the LEDs were like that, just wasnt sure though.

Still working on the lights and all that.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:35   #8 (permalink)

No probs :)

Okies, I've had a look through the workshop manual, and there is some real weirdness there !

First up, there does seem to be a "fog light" light available - there *is* a slot for the globe as you would have found, and the cluster loom does have 2 wires available for this light. BUT, from there on, the "fog light" light is never mentioned again - its not shown in any circuit diagrams, or listed *anywhere*. Afaik, there wasn't a factory option of fog lights anyway . . . Very odd.

So, in short, there are some wires there, but I have NFI exactly what they do *inside* the cluster itself. They might simply be some circuit tracks to the globe holder, or there might be some microprocessor involvement somewhere (I would hope it was the former given the lack of information on the thing). Either way, you want to be *very* careful wiring this up, since it is largely an unknown, and would suck to blow the cluster (might be able to try some simple continuity tests that might give an idea of if it is simple wiring or something else).

I scanned up 3 pages of the manual, a cluster wiring diagram, the cluster pinouts, and the back layout of the cluster (showing the fog light globe holder).
They can be found HERE, HERE and HERE. (didn't post them here due to size and possible copyright dilemmas).
Old 03-24-2004, 21:22   #9 (permalink)
.au member

Lamah,

thanks again, your help is really appreciated cos noone round here seems to have a clue about how to do this. Those pages came in really handy. Thanks!

The guys at spare parts told me today that the cluster should be able to handle 12v fine, but we'll play it safe just to make sure.

I'll let you know how it goes, I'm hopefully finishing it all up on Sunday.
Old 03-24-2004, 23:28   #10 (permalink)

Its explained on Fordmods how to rig up the foglights cluster thingo in the EF/EL cluster diargram
1966 Blue Ford Galaxie - 4Dr Sedan, Pwr Steering, 302 Windsor, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, 650 Holley Race Custom , Crow Cam 15666, Rollmaster Camgear, Heads Ported, MSD 6AL Ignition, MSD Billet Dizzy, Crane Energizer Roller Rockers, C4 - Stage 2 Shift Kit, HiStall 2500rpm, B&M Z-Gate Shifter, XY GT Radiator, 2.92 9" Diff, Dual Thermofans, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, RCI 16gal Fuel Cell.
AusCaRnAgEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU