EF Dual Fuel ..Smart Lock Probs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2004, 17:48   #1 (permalink)

EF Dual Fuel ..Smart Lock Probs

Just privately bought EF dual fuel with Ford fitted gas system
Drove the car 10 mins to home turned off and it sat ove night.
Next morning ...battery flat....smartlock light came on with alternate battery and car would not start....(set to LPG) turns over and sounds like it wants to fire but seldomely.
It is fitted with a manual gas valve inline.
Noticed when key left in the on position the gas is pumping continuously....Bomb in the making. ...does not prime and stop like i have been told it should :

The car had been sitting for a number of weeks and not driven...and pretrol tank mt and no fuel cap so reluctant to pour fuel in without a clean....

Any ideas on the gas issues would be a great help......Gas isolated for now.
EFbadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2004, 19:51   #2 (permalink)
known as tibbo

Re: EF Dual Fuel ..Smart Lock Probs

pull the valve out and visually check that there is gas (vapour) coming out of the intake line when you are cranking the car.. Also double check that when it is on that vapour is being expelled whislt you have the key on, not that it is just the solenoid clicking.. Then leave the car 'on' for 1 hour (although i think it might only be 20 mins) to reset the smartlock

The factory gas cars start on fuel, you have the vialle convertor with the green and red push toggle button yes?

If you want it to start it on LPG with no ULP hold the changeover switch in until it stays constantly green, then crank...
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 23:48   #3 (permalink)

It has a Zavoli gas system....Italian...fitted by Metro Ford 4 years ago....and a switch on the dash for Gas/Petrol selection..with 4 diode type lights that illuminate on the quantity of gas in the tank to what i can gather.

The Auto electrician now refuses to work on it due to having one minor explosion when cranking...(blew off the filter box connection backfired)....until the gas issue is sorted.

I am not sure when it was last run on petrol...nor is the previous owner as he only had it for a matter of 2 to 3 months...so will check out that avenue to get it running to get it sorted.

I will check those points you mention....and anything else anyone can add would be appreciated.

Last edited by EFbadboy; 04-28-2004 at 23:51. Reason: typo errors
Old 04-29-2004, 00:02   #4 (permalink)
known as tibbo

chance are if it hasn't had petrol in it for 2-3 months the pump would be burnt out

Did it fire straight away on LPG?
see if you can disconnect (unplug) the gas solenoid if your worried about the gas while you reset the smartlock
That would be my first concern..make sure the smartlock is ready and go from there

Not much of an auto elec if he just throws his arms up, but on the flip side it can't blow the airbox lid off until the gas ignites with a spark... That would rule out smartlock and coil issues

Disconnect the gas solenoid or turn the tank off i you want to do it that way then check to see if you have a good spark
Old 05-01-2004, 01:33   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for your post.....
The fuel pump had been disconnected all this time.....so one would hope it still works....
With the gas issue.....when i switch the dash select switch to LPG....things go crazy..... I was out side the car...keys in my hand....ignition off obviously.....but....then the central locking activated.....fans in front of radiator started...sounded like aircon kicking in ...looked in car and all dash lights up as though key was in the on position.....but ignition was off and keys in hand?????????

This happens ad hoc when left in gas select...
When switch is on petrol...all seems well ......well nothing strange happens???

Back to the fuel......removed tank and m teed ..flushed and reinstalled....replaced fuel filter....the contents of the tank smelt real strange but it was highly flammable...did not smell like petrol....but man it ignites well...any idea's on what may have been in the tank????

Tried to get it going on petrol...but no joy.....will test spark situation and report back...but any help would be useful as have not much hair left now....
Old 05-01-2004, 02:13   #6 (permalink)
known as tibbo

that is very odd... could be anything...

try and get the fuel working first by the sounds of it, then sort of the LPG

check the spark, and unhook the fuel line to make sure you are getting a nice strong flow thru the lines, if it still wont go a set of injectors might be in order
Old 05-02-2004, 16:34   #7 (permalink)

What a mission.....seems like the little man is in there working ahead of me causing further complications as i go....

I had trouble getting power to the fuel pump when switched to petrol......I traced all wiring and checked all relays etc...then the simplest thing...i tested the power at the fuel pump when switch select on LPG...whala..power there......who wired this i wonder.....anyway...another question....on popping the switch and surround from dash....i checked the wiring on the switch....
Has 5 terminals.... starting at +12 volt, Sender, Petrol, Gas, Earth....
But no wire on the petrol terminal?????? When in LPG select mode.....there is +12volt and power to the LPG terminal...which one would think correct....But power back at the petrol pump....Remember...petrol termal MT....when switched to Petrol.....I have +12volt nothing on the LPG...again one would think this correct...power to the petrol terminal but no wire....In both modes there is no power on the sender terminal.......What is happening here...am i missing something...is the switch wired wrong from some previous wally....or maybe a holden owner.....
Please help...this is driving me around the bend....without the car running...
Old 05-02-2004, 16:37   #8 (permalink)
known as tibbo

pull the kick panel off and check the loom going to the ECU.. look for a spliced wire or something similar
Old 05-03-2004, 00:00   #9 (permalink)

The nitemare continues.......

No....no spliced wires into the ECU.....
What i noticed .... there is another magic black box up under the dash that this switch wires appear to go into.....it is that far up i can not see without ripping out the dash......what it is.....No not the BCM....it has what appears to be 2 harness going into it......
I have also found that the fuel pump is cactus.....I hot wired it and nothing....

So will have to replace that .....
Almost ready to set it alite......
Can anyone recomend someone here on the coast i can reliably take it to....No not Ford...rip offs..... been there and burnt once.....

Let me wake in the morning and find it was all a bad dream
Old 05-03-2004, 00:15   #10 (permalink)
known as tibbo

the black box is most likely the gas computer

Load it up on a tilt tray and tow it to the local cab workshop, do you have a big taxi depot at Nerang? If not ask a cabbie or two where he gets his work done

Least that way you are taking it to a mechanic that is familair with the dual fuel set-ups
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU