EF/EL owner please help!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2003, 05:19   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

EF/EL owners please help!!

Sorry about this to the mods, but I got no reply in the Tech section of forum.

I have a problem with the thermo fans in my '96 EL (6 cylinder) and I think its my thermo relays. Problem is they dont come on till temp goes to 4/5 of 'normal' and only high speed comes on. Low speed does not work even with the aircon on.

I just had it side by side with my mums 97 EL in the garage, and the thermos in that car run fine, once it reaches running temp low speed comes on to regulate temp also if aircon is on, low speed fans are on no matter what, high speed comes on if aircon is turned up to speed 3 or more. Where in my car nothing happends the thermos are dead regardles of aircon. they only come on when temp goes up pretty high, and its high speed that comes on.

Now I compared the relays in the two cars and they are different!! WTF??
Here is that i found relays 1 to 4;
My car '96 EL GLi (stuffed): R6H3, R6H3, R6H5, no relay
Mum car '97 EL Futura (good): R6H0, R6H5, R6H0, no relay

If you have the time to look at the relays in your car or know what relays I should have can you please help!!! The thermo fan relays are infront of the air cleaner element box on the right. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by XtRmn8; 10-09-2003 at 05:54.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2003, 06:06   #2 (permalink)
a vile merchant

Re: EF/EL owners please help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRmn8
Sorry about this to the mods, but I got no reply in the Tech section of forum.

I have a problem with the thermo fans in my '96 EL (6 cylinder) and I think its my thermo relays. Problem is they dont come on till temp goes to 4/5 of 'normal' and only high speed comes on. Low speed does not work even with the aircon on.

I just had it side by side with my mums 97 EL in the garage, and the thermos in that car run fine, once it reaches running temp low speed comes on to regulate temp also if aircon is on, low speed fans are on no matter what, high speed comes on if aircon is turned up to speed 3 or more. Where in my car nothing happends the thermos are dead regardles of aircon. they only come on when temp goes up pretty high, and its high speed that comes on.

Now I compared the relays in the two cars and they are different!! WTF??
Here is that i found relays 1 to 4;
My car '96 EL GLi (stuffed): R6H3, R6H3, R6H5, no relay
Mum car '97 EL Futura (good): R6H0, R6H5, R6H0, no relay

If you have the time to look at the relays in your car or know what relays I should have can you please help!!! The thermo fan relays are infront of the air cleaner element box on the right. Thanks in advance!

I can't really help but this exact thing happened to my AU3 and the fix was new thermo fans under warranty. It's guaranteed to cook on a hot day, so I hope you get it worked out.
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 06:52   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

Re: EF/EL owner please help!!

I think I fixed it, see how it goes over a few days.

The relays R3H3 and R6H0 both seem to be the same 40A relay, the circuts on them are a bit different but all pins have the same numbers and they are both 40A. So I just swaped them around so that they are in the same order as in my mums car and the fans work sweet.

I am a bit pissed but because I had the same problem last year (car used to get a bit hot at the lights in summer) and I replaced the radiator(brand new), thermostat and all new hoses and a full system flush, $600 later in parts and labour I had the same problem. Now I find that all along the relays were in ther wrong order causing the thermo fans not to work!! HMMM!
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 18:35   #4 (permalink)
Still Dazed and Confused

Re: EF/EL owner please help!!

I've hooked a switch in series to the fans, and mounted it on the Right Kick panel so if the temp is more than my liking, I flick the switch and the fans come on high.
By flicking the switch, it disconnects it from the circuit and the computer goes into help mode - but the fans come on high.

I do a lot of trips to brisbane from Toowoomba, and coming up the range sends the temp almost to the top. Having the switch, means it rarely ever leaves the bottom. Also saves the aircon compressor from overloading.

If there's commotion coming from the passenger seat, and nothing but earth going round and round outside the windows,.......then everything is not as it seems!

The only time you have too much fuel, is when you're on fire!
rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU