EF Fairmont Headlights - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2004, 20:49   #1 (permalink)

EF Fairmont Headlights

Hey guys,

i just got a 94' model EF fairmont ghia, and the headlights are absolutely dreadful, looks like the previous owner cleaned them with some sorta spirit based stuff, cause the headlight covers are all deteriorated. Any of you guys know where i can get a set of aftermarket headlights ? i had a look on the search engines and couldn't really find anything good. And the ford dealership says that the factory ones are like, 300+ dollars each.

Thanks for the help.

p.s. any guesses on how many kilowatts my fairmont has ? i thought it was 164kw, cause its got the motor with the red rocker cover, but one of my mates thinks its just got a stock I6 in it, and if it is indeed 164kw.. or wuteva, what has been done to it over the stock motor ?
Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2004, 21:01   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Re: EF Fairmont Headlights

Are you sure they actually need replacing? If they have gone yellow and discoloured, this can be fixed with light sandpaper.

The '94 EFs were supposed to have stock engines (not sure if yours is different though), but the later '95 and onwards models had uprated Tickford versions.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 21:21   #3 (permalink)

Maybe the previous owner just put on the red rocker cover or painted it. Does the head have a T stamped on the front of it? I believe this is how you identify a Tickford engine, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Ash
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 21:21   #4 (permalink)

Thx troutman i might have to try some sandpaper :) ... guess it might save me like a few hundred, gonna go to home hardware and get some 1200 wet&dry.... can't doo too much damage i guess.. their absolutely terrible at nite :(.

but if i can't fix it.. anyone got ideas where i can get new headlights? might get some of those white globes too... anyone know a good brand ?

ummm i'm pretty sure it hasn't jsut got a red cover put on it, it was a company car before i bought it.. so i dont' think they would have put a red cover on it for kicks :) neva know thou :)
Old 08-10-2004, 21:30   #5 (permalink)

sorry about htat guys, its actually a '95 EF, i just couldn't remember when i was making the first post, so i just said 94' :)
Old 08-10-2004, 21:36   #6 (permalink)
400 kg ego

OK the engine is the same as the XR6 of the time, but with a quieter, more restrictive exhaust. The Ghia produces 162 kw @ 4900 rpm and 361 Nm @ 3000 rpm, compared to 164 kW and 366 Nm for the XR6. It also has the XR6-spec auto tranny, 3.45 diff etc.

Give the sandpaper a try. Otherwise I'd suggest tracking down headlights at a wrecker. Most will be discoloured but the fix is easy once you know how to do it. There's ample info on these forums.

For white globes, I have not had a problem with the Autotecnica ones from Kmart. You'll need a H4 and a H3 pair.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 21:40   #7 (permalink)

hey thanks, might go buy some sand paper and have a crack at it... i guess i can't make it any worse then they already are.. their absolutely pathetic at the moment... not too bad at nite.. but at dusk/dawn... its not somewhere i wanna be :)
Old 08-10-2004, 22:12   #8 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

welocme to the forums :)
Old 08-10-2004, 22:37   #9 (permalink)

Thanks NZ :) seems like a nice place so far
Old 08-10-2004, 22:48   #10 (permalink)

$300 for headlights!!!! That can't be right I broke the right hand front blinker on my EA and a new one with globe from repco was under $20. I don't see how one could be so cheap and the other so expensive.

Do your lights still have the strip of silver on the bottom of the outside casing? When I got my car most of that had come unstuck and made the lights not work very well.

Last edited by jajig; 08-10-2004 at 22:52. Reason: editing
jajig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Interior | Electrical | ECU