Ford Forums banner

EF Futura SW, possible Central locking problem.

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  gordon_s1942 
#1 ·
I have owned this wagon since 2000 and have had occassional dificulties getting it to lock with the remote pad.
All the locks operate but then unlocks and horn sounds.
I sort of tracked the fault to the tailgate lock. I am guessing it just doesnt set correctly when the motor operates, but use the key in any of the locks and 9 out of 10 times it locks solid.
Is the 'switch' near the actual lock itself for the interior lights?
Apart from turning the lights on and off, does the control module use the interior light curcuits for any other purpose?
Does the locking motor (master) body have all the contacts for the lock/alarm inside it?

I have a workshop manual but its not what I would call very descriptive.
I dont want to fiddle without knowing what it all does and if these any risk to damaging the control mudule.

#2 ·
Update and cause of problem found.
The switch mounted against the lock on tailgate is the culprit.
I havent had a chance to remove and test but I thinks its stuck so that it is 'closed' and as such, when tailgate shut, its not opening the circuit for the computer.
This also causes the interior lights to stay on as well as the light on the steering wheel above the ignition key.
The locks close but the horn gives a short toot as it detects an 'Open Door'
Temporary fix is to simply unplug switch connection inside the tailgate, this means the interior light wont come on when tailgate open but at least the central lock is working correctly.
If your interested, the cost of the replacement switch is $110.
That is not a typo, $110 ,the damn thing is as big as your thumb in size and about 4 mm thick with 2 wires and a polarised plug at the end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.